Re: PR, Sim Tech and the Elderly

From: Randy Harr <randyh@milpitas.lmc.com>
Date: Thu Aug 19 1993 - 17:09:29 PDT

>>From quantic.mb.ca!ventham@lmc.com Thu Aug 19 16:55:18 1993
>To: ibis@vhdl.org
>Subject: PR, Sim Tech and the Elderly
>
>Greetings, IBIS Gentlefolk
>
>A few points on various subjects.
>
>1) ...
>
>2) ...
>
>3) What about the elderly devices?
> In conversation with a customer about IBIS, he asked whether the older
> devices he was using would be provided in IBIS format. As we all know
> the models availability issue which IBIS finally addresses has been
> around for quite sometime and SPICE models are still difficult if not
> impossible for old devices (i.e those over 2 years old!). Also, not
> every company upgrades to the latest and greatest versions of a chip in
> their designs, for various reasons including cost, availability and
> re-design time.
> Obviously, for Intel, the Pentium and its associated devices were a suitable
> starting point for this, but do they plan to issue IBIS models of some of
> their earlier devices? I understand that this will mainly affect the
> silicon vendors in their efforts to support IBIS, but it is likely to
> impair the efforts of the simulation vendors to push the IBIS way if
> only those companies on the leading edge will be able to use the IBIS
> models. I am sure that not all their designs contain only the latest
> components. I also realise that there is an awful lot of devices.
>

> I'd like to propose this for an agenda item for discussion - I think
> the result would probably be a policy for IBIS silicon vendors or a
> decision to leave it up to the individual companies as to how many devices
> they put into IBIS format.

At Logic Modeling, we are standardizing on a format for delivery of bare
die information of which we are encapsulating IBIS inside it. Many of the
semi vendors have plans, at least for bare die, to go back and create
electronic databases of old parts that are still being sold. Much of this
impetus is because the bare die are virtually useless without geometric,
pad type, and electrical models. Although we need more accuracy and a lot
wider technology support range for the MCM type interconnect modeling than
IBIS will provide today; we feel it is a great start and are supporting it
to make it easier to go forward.

Having many years experienc (and bruises) trying to get semi companies to
deliver behavioral models; I would not recommend to anyone to make an
agenda item to get any commitment out of any semi company. As one jumps in
(Intel), others will follow and market forces will demand what happens. LMC
is just glad to help out getting more IBIS models via the bare die
requirement.

P.S. - if anyone wants info on the bare die spec or industry group, it is
also on vhdl.org (die@vhdl.org; files in /bbs/eia/die). The mail archive
server is almost working on the machine which will allow you to request the
documents (and IBIS ones in /bbs/pub/ibis) via email. This is the solution
for those not on Internet (FTP / gopher) and not wanting to modem in to the
machine directly.