Package Parasitics continued (fwd)

From: Robert Canright <canright@neptune.convex.com>
Date: Fri Oct 01 1993 - 13:58:04 PDT

I've just joined this dialog & find it interesting to see you debating
something we are discussing in-house. Furthermore, I made a suggestion
for a package modeling specification at the February JEDEC JC-15 meeting.
I'm trying to get consensus in-house still, but what I have put into my
proposed spec is both the RLGC info & a spice deck. The RLGC info is
useful for thinking purposes. The spice deck is what we need for
simulation. No one wants to build a spice deck from an RLGC matrix.
A "cut & paste" approach is needed for productivity. Furthermore, the
lumped element spice deck should be made up of 3 lumps. 1 lump introduces
distortion.

I did not expect IBIS to satisfy all my needs. But my proposed package
modeling spec is my wish list for signal integrity. The goal is improved
productivity. I was hoping to get the IC manufacturers moving towards
giving us more of the information we need to do signal integrity analysis
with greater accuracy & less labor. If there is interest, I could share
the spec with you when it comes "out of committee". (Perhaps "data
requirements" is a better term than "spec".)