Re: Bird #5

From: Randy Harr <randyh@milpitas.lmc.com>
Date: Thu Dec 09 1993 - 15:00:42 PST

Should we be so quick to dismiss 80 column limitations or encouraged
styles. Most "default" window sizes still come up as 80 characters; most
screen fonts are still mono-spaced and support this paradigm. Printing of
unformatted text files always still defaults to 10 pt mono-spaced fonts
(even on many postscript systems) and only allow 72-80 characters across per
page. Although the source of the size (80 characters) actually pre-dates
even punched cards, it is still prevalent IF you desire human-readable and
easily processable "documentation".

The real question seems to be whether we desire human readable files. We can
change it to a style issue only if we remove the "newline" (carriage return
or whatever; depending on the file system) as an active part of the syntax.

randy