80 Columns

From: <bracken@valhalla.performance.com>
Date: Thu Dec 09 1993 - 20:40:25 PST

Y'all,

Being mostly human, I am 100% totally for human readable files.

Is it time to contemplate an "extension" character (a la the famed "+"
in Spice) that can be used to break long lines up across several
"physical" lines of the input file without violating the sacred and
venerable limit of 80 characters?

Say we had:

A very long line of input such as this very very very long one and I'm talking really REALLY long.

This would become:

A very long line of input such as this very very very long one and I'm
+ talking really REALLY long.

I think we need something like this, otherwise the 80 char limit becomes
crippling to our expressiveness.

--Eric Bracken <bracken@performance.com>

P.S. I suggest that we also put a filter on the reflector, to squelch any
messages that have lines exceeding 80 characters in width. This will prevent
the pain and suffering I experience when I need to resize my X window.