BIRD 5.1

From: Bob Ward <bward@dadhb1.ti.com>
Date: Wed Dec 15 1993 - 13:44:42 PST

I have been looking at BIRD 5.1 and have a few comments, mostly minor.

I am thinking that the use of NA for the state of not being connected to a
power or ground bus would be better cast as NC. The present day buzzword for
the use of NA is "overloading" where in one context it means Not Available
and in another it mean Not Connected. I would think that the semantic change
is less if we use NC with all the same rules as for NA. Just one of those
little consistencies that make writing parsers more tolerable.

For effective power and ground bounce work one really should not ignore
mutual couplings. These can be really significant in some cases. Now the
statement that this BIRD allows for first order analysis ( I would add 'at
least' since it could go a long way toward second order as well ) probably
says that we do not need mutuals yet. I am at a loss just now as to whether
these should be saved for a later BIRD or whether we should try to factor
them in here. Doing so would affect quite a few things.

Advice or comments?

Thanks,

     __ /
    / \ / / Bob Ward