LEVELS OF SUPPORT

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Wed Apr 27 1994 - 09:49:31 PDT

To IBIS Committee:

IBIS Version 2.0 will represent a substantial increase in functionality
over Version 1.1. All of the proposed advances really do relate to the
real modeling challenges we are facing. IBIS Version 2.0 will be very
valuable for specifying the format for the advances.

I am glad to see "levels of support" on the agenda. I expect that most
simulators are not structured to handle ALL of the planned extensions.

For guidance, I would proposed that all Version 2.0 compliant parsers
be able to read files with ANY of the FINALIZED Version 2.0 extensions.
They MUST be able to work with LEVEL 1 extensions. They MAY work with
ANY of the LEVEL 2 extensions or take some alternative action including
doing nothing, issuing a warning message, or substituting a Version 1.1
compliant action (e.g., use [Ramp] instead of using non-linear waveforms).

Here are my thoughts at classifying the approved and pending BIRDS and EGGS
into level 1 and 2 categories.

Category of Functionality Status Level

1. IBIS VERSION 1.1 APPROVED 1

2. FUNDAMENTAL FUNCTIONALITY ADDITIONS

  BIRD 3 - MULTIPLE POWER SUPPLY LEVELS APPROVED 1

  BIRD 4 - ECL EXTENSIONS APPROVED 1

  BIRD 7.2 - OPEN SPECIFICATION COMPLETION APPROVED 1

  BIRD 9.2 - TERMINATOR SPECIFICATION PENDING 2

3. MULTIPLE PIN RELATIONSHIPS

  BIRD 5.2 - PIN_MAPPING FOR GROUND BOUNCE APPROVED 2
             SIMULATION

  BIRD 6.2 - DIFFERENTIAL PIN SPECIFICATION APPROVED 2

  BIRD 10.1 - DESCRIBING COUPLING EFFECTS PENDING 2
              IN PACKAGE MODELS

5. SPECIFICATION REFINEMENTS

  BIRD 2.2 - REQUIRING VIH VIL THRESHOLDS PENDING 1
             FOR INPUT DEVICES

  BIRD 8 - SPECIFICATION OF V/I DATA PENDING 1
           MONOTONICITY

  BIRD 11.2 - IMPROVING COMMON ERROR DETECTION PENDING 1
              IN IBIS_CHK PROGRAM

6. DATA DETAIL EXTENSIONS

  BIRD 12 - NON-LINEAR DRIVER WAVEFORMS PENDING 2

  EGG 3 - CLARIFY SOME CONDITIONS OF PENDING 2
          MEASUREMENT

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.