Re: IBIS - DIET - OMF

From: Will Hobbs <Will_Hobbs@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Tue Aug 23 1994 - 11:57:50 PDT

Text item:

Syed,

Derrick Duehren and I are on the executive committee of OMF, and Randy Harr has
phoned in a couple of times. Several companies, such as Cadence, Mentor and
Intel, are in both IBIS and OMF, but the individuals are generally different.

OMF is aimed at logic models, such as VHDL and Verilog. We are trying to define
a common procedural interface to the simulators so that models can be developed
in any suitable language, compiled to that interface, and run. Interestingly,
TI requested that the standard allow IBIS information to be contained in the OMF
API-compliant model, and this has become a goal, though not a requirement.

So far, we have moved from a good idea to a CFI-affiliated group with a dozen
paying participants and an additional 25 companies involved in the OMF effort.
We have created a set of requirements and issued a request for technology (RFT)
to use as a starting point for the API. So far, LMG has submitted Swift, but
the request is still open and other submissions are expected.

There are many similarities between IBIS and OMF, in that the goals are to
increase availability of models through standard interface definitions, with
strong protection for IP. Give me a call if you want to know more.

DIET is a group headed by Randy Harr to define a spec for the transport of
physical information of bare die, and that effort started about the same time as
IBIS. Randy incorporated IBIS into the DIE spec, since they needed a signal
integrity representation mechanism and IBIS fit well with the format and intent
of DIE.

Will Hobbs
Intel Corp.

Hi,
Recently I came across an article in Electronic Engineering Times about
a Modeling standard called OMF(Open Model Forum). This forum uses Logic
Modeling's Swift as an interface and they are a part of CFI(CAD Framework
Initiative).

OMF is trying to standardize it's methodology and has over 40 EDA, semi-
conductor and model vendors as members. OMF's main goal is model inter
operability, protection of IC vendors intellectual property...

This to me seems very similar to IBIS.

Also, I have been getting copied on the DIET(Die Information Exchange
for Timing)mettings coming up. I thought the DIE forum references IBIS
for Signal Integrity Analysis. Then what is this DIET ??

I am sure there are IBIS members who participate in both the OMF and
DIET forums. How about making some comments about the key differences
between all these forums..

Regards,
Syed huq
National Semiconductor