Re[2]: DAC Session

From: Will Hobbs <Will_Hobbs@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Wed Aug 31 1994 - 14:42:02 PDT

Text item:

Paul,

I noticed you only copied me on your reply. Since it is of
general interest, I've posted it to the reflector.

Will

I don't think we should think of it probabilistically like this.
IF we arrange a session and IF the papers are of a high quality
then you are not likely to be wasting your time.

The 3 in 4 rejection
includes all the `another dull paper on an increment in DFT only
of interest to other DFT academics' rejects.
We do not need to submit 12 papers.

How can you tell if a paper is of a `high quality'. Would you
want to take valuable time from the floor-show to go to it?
... as good a criteria as any.

I would be happy to help judge candidate outlines though I do
not claim any particularly great insights on acceptability.

Regards,

Paul

> Text item:
>
> Paul,
>
> As Jon Powell stated, there were several concerns:
>
> You said that typically 3 of 4 papers are rejected. If, as we surmised, we
> needed at least 3 accepted papers to have a session, does that mean
the forum
> members need to generate 12 papers in order for anyone to get to present?
> That's a fairly big disincentive.
>
> There was a general feeling that a DAC session would be worthwhile, but with
> products to deliver, many of us don't want to spend valuable time
in the next
> month writing a paper if there is only a small likelihood of it going
anywhere.
> How many papers does it take to reach critical mass, or is that an
irrelevant
> question?
>
> Will

Text item: External Message Header