Re[2]: IBIS SUMMIT next year, From: Kellee Crisafulli

From: Will Hobbs <Will_Hobbs@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Wed Dec 07 1994 - 09:21:15 PST

Text item:

Kellee, Bob, and others of the soverign IBIS Nation,

While we're adding to the future wish list, I would like to throw transmission
lines into the package spec. A general discussion on the future growth path of
IBIS at the summit would be time well spent.

Will

Kellee,

I notice that the 1994 Pentium book, a clamping diode is now represented as
an equivalent Spice formatted diode with "TT" for transit time. This may
be the critical item necessary for correct turn-on specification and it is
up to simulator companies to provide the "delayed" reaction in an appropriate
manner. However, I am also interested in more discussion for better
understanding and to sort out all the options.

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.

> Bob I saw your Email, and I am also very interested in your items 1 and 4.

> (1) More details on the diode stored charge effects in clamping circuits and
> how to model.

> (4) More details on possible simplified package models with coupling and
> delay.

> I feel that the diodes are a very badly needed improvement to the
specification.
> Many of the devices out there don't exhibit the instant turn-on times implied
> by the present IBIS specification. This has little effect on CMOS
output buffers
> but has dramatic effect on all types of input buffers. Termination
effects may be
> much more pronounced in a real circuit than simulators are showing.

> I would like to see something very simple to start with. Perhaps
a turn on curve
> of percent ON versus time, where the percent on is relative to the
diode current
> in the table. This could be a simple "turn-on-time". Another approach
might be to
> use more of a real charge storage model. The trick is to make it
measurable with
> device testers, and keep the amount of information that needs to
be collected and
> simulated as small as possible. As IBIS models get larger the simulation
speed goes
> down.

> Kellee Crisafulli,
> HyperLynx Inc.