Clarification of my ramp measurement question

From: Bob Ward <bward@sugar.NeoSoft.Com>
Date: Mon Feb 28 1994 - 13:35:07 PST

The other day I posted a message asking about the more correct interpretation
of the measurement spec for the ramp rate for an ibis model. I got back some
traffic reaffirming the use of the 20% and 80% points, but the answers missed
the point of the question. Let me try again. The spec says that we are to
measure the ramp rate into a 50 ohm load. Because of the load there will be
less than full voltage swing. I fact I would expect VERY little, if any
overshoot under such a load as this. I would expect that the rising edge will
settle to a voltage rather under the rail voltage, and the falling edge will
settle to a voltage rather higher than the ground voltage. So the question is
how are the 20% and 80% points determined? Are they 20 and 80 % of the reduced
swing from ground to less than rail for rising edge and from rail to above
ground to falling edge, or are they 20 and 80 % of the rail voltage even though
the actual output doesn't swing that far? I suspect that there would be
relatively little difference in the value of dV/dt no matter which was used,
but why not get it right?

Thanks,