Re: High freq effects in i/o mo

From: Chuck Catto @ PCB x5506 <catto@wv.MENTORG.COM>
Date: Thu Jan 06 1994 - 10:47:17 PST

Ravender,

Yes, whole heartedly! Way back when, when I first started using
Quad, the one question I had in mind was freqency dependent char-
acteristics of the output drivers and input receivers. All mea-
surements are done at DC, without any jw effects taken into ac-
count. And in doing so, as you have stated below, this would
lead to an understanding of the modelization or internal char-
acteristics of those devices looking into the output of a driver
or into the input of a receiver.

I feel it is necessary to take the imaginary component into effect,
and not rely simply on a lumped capacitance to a pin are some
"equivalent" series inductance of an io pin. The modeling becomes
even more important at higher frequencies, as you mentioned.

I did not fully get your drawings, with the BLA K. I was trying
to make sense, and thought perhaps the L meant inductance, etc.,
but lost it in the BA and K. A FAX with a sketch would do me
fine, and would be much appreciated.

I read with much interest your work on producing more accurate closed
form equations for characteristic impedance, etc. I think you are
doing an excellent job, and I am glad we have the right person at
the helm of this 'high-speed' ship. I have a lot of respect for you.

Any and all inputs with respect to Quad, IBIS modeling, XFX3D and other
new developments, as well as research you are conducting, is much appreciated.

   Take care,
- Chuck Catto -