EIA proposal

From: Will Hobbs <Will_Hobbs@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Tue Jul 19 1994 - 09:25:07 PDT

Text item: Text_1

IBISers,

Here is the letter that Patti Rusher sent to me regarding IBIS affiliation with
EIA.

Will Hobbs
Intel Corp.

Mr. William Hobbs
XTG Modeling Manager
Intel Corporation
5200 NE Elam Young Parkway
Hillsboro, OR 97214

Dear Mr. Hobbs:

Thank you for the opportunity to discuss the possibility of IBIS Open
Forum becoming affiliated with the EIA's Electronic Information Group
(EIG) during last Friday's teleconference.

As we discussed, I would propose that the IBIS Open Forum become a
Committee under the Design Automation Division of the EIG. This will
permit the Forum to do the following:

1. Submit its document to become an ANSI accredited standard by using
the EIA accredited standards organization procedures. Under these
procedures you can put your document through EIA as an Interim Standard
that has a finite life of three years after which you can upgrade to an
ANSI/EIA standard, or do them both simultaneously. EIA full standards
have to be reconfirmed, revised or rescinded every five years.

2. Maintain your current method of operation without having the
burden of large overhead expenditures. By being a Committee, you don't
have to belong to the Design Automation Division, but could pay a very
reasonable committee fee. Divisional membership is desirable, but not
mandatory! Members of the Design Automation would not have to pay
Committee fees. EIA budgets are run Jan-Dec on an accrual basis. Your
committee income and expenses would be rolled into the Design Automation
Division, however, it is possible to set up special accounts for
projects such as future parser development/contractor expense. EIA only
asks that each Group be self liquidating and I believe we can work this
issue to be advantageous for you and keep your costs to a minimum.
Before putting any amount on this I would like to know what your current
operational expenses are. As I indicated during the
teleconference, my expenses have already been budgeted this year, but I
cannot imagine that IBIS would take up more than 1-2% of my time during
1995.

3. If IBIS Open Forum does decide to become a part EIA you will have
access to our legal department, marketing service department,
engineering, and we would be your official administrative arm
alleviating this burden from the volunteer resources. EIA is a
non-profit organization.

4. EIA will have to maintain the copyright of any documents you
decide to put forth as a standard for legal reasons. Distribution of
information through the EIG will ensure that you can maintain cost
controls, however, they will be advertised nationally and
internationally through EIA's distributors.

5. Since EIG is involved in other areas such as EDIF, VHDL component
modeling as well as CASE exchange format standards, and future work such
as the DIE, IBIS is a natural fit. EIG was created to help foster the
growth of these exchange standards and help promote them throughout the
industry.

6. EIA's membership base is approximately 1100 companies. Our
engineering department alone has approximately 275 committees with over
6,000 individuals participating, providing you with lots of exposure.

Please feel free to contact me should you have any additional questions.
Again, I fuel we can work together to promote IBIS.

Sincerely,

                                          Patti Rusher
                                          Director
                                          Electronic Information Group