Re: Re[1]: V/I table in Bench measurements

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Wed Jul 20 1994 - 18:10:43 PDT

Stephen:

For compliance with all versions of IBIS, the tables need to extend (even
by extrapolation) to the full -5V to 10V range. I agree, you will never
see the full range in practice. Since open collector versions of TTL
could swing from Vcc (say 5V) to nearly 0V, I would not want to complicate the
range specification at this point. (I personally favor not forcing the
tables to be at the specified IBIS limits, but that is a separate issue
and not the IBIS position.)

With some simulators, there are some subtle behavior effects which could give
significantly different simulations for what appear to be negligible IBIS
differences. If for TTL the [Pullup] table has an I = 0 point at say 3.5V
(actual voltage, not table voltage), and a [Pulldown] I = 0 point at say .2V,
then the [Ramp] rise and fall transitions can extend over a 3.3V range with
some simulators. However, if the [Pullup] table has a current of I = -1e-6
at 3.5V and I = 0 at 5V, then the [Ramp] rise and fall transitions can
extend over a 4.8V range (some of which is in the 3.5V to 5V high Z region).
This can cause a long time-constant dribble up in the low to high transition
into a high resistance load. It may also give a different effective ramp rate.
Related to this is the extraction of the dV/dt_f ramp rates with 50 ohms to
Vcc = 5V versus 50 ohms to say Vcc - 1.5 = 3.5V. Some Spice simulations give
much slower ramp rates under the first condition than under the second,
more realistic situaton which does not force a transition through the
high impedance region. So, with TTL there can be some practical considerations
which do not apply for CMOS Logic. Along with the range question you raise,
IBIS does not address these concerns.

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.