IBIS 7/15 Meeting Minutes

From: Derrick Duehren <Derrick_Duehren@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Thu Jul 21 1994 - 11:25:41 PDT

Text item: Text_1

Date: July 20, 1994

From: Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, fax (503) 696-4210
         Will_Hobbs@ccm2.jf.intel.com
         XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, IBIS Open Forum
         Intel Corporation
         5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 USA
         and
         Derrick Duehren (503) 696-4299, fax (503) 696-4904
         Derrick_Duehren@ccm.jf.intel.com
         Intel Program Manager

Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Meeting 7/15/94

To:
AT&T Global Info Systems Dave Moxley*
Anacad Steffen Rochel
Ansoft Henri Maramis
Atmel Corporation Dan Terry
Cadence Design Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar*
Cadlab Ralf Bruning
Contec Maah Sango
Digital Equipment Corp. Barry Katz*
EIA Patty Rusher
High Design Technology Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
HyperLynx Kellee Crisafulli*
IBM Jay Diepenbrock, Joseph Flanigan
IBM-Motorola alliance Lynn Warriner, Hoa Quoc, John Burnett
Integrated Silicon Systems Eric Bracken*
Integrity Engineering Greg Doyle
Intel Corporation Stephen Peters*, Don Telian, Will Hobbs*
                              Arpad Muranyi, Derrick Duehren*,
                              John Keifer*
Interconnectix, Inc. Bob Ross*, Scott Bloom*
Intergraph Ian Dodd, David Wiens
IntuSoft Charles Hymowitz
Mentor Graphics Ravender Goyal*
Meta-Software Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney,
NEC Hiroshi Matsumoto
MicroSim Arthur Wong
National Semiconductor Syed Huq
North Carolina State U. Steve Lipa, Michael Steer*
OptEM Engineering, Inc. Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
PC Ware Paul Munsey*
Quad Design Jon Powell
Quantic Labs Mike Ventham
Racal-Redac John Berrie
Siemens Nixdorf Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier*
Symmetry Martin Walker
Synopsys, Logic Modeling G. Randy Harr
Texas Instruments Bob Ward
Thomson-CSF/SCTF Jean Lebrun
UniCAD Canada Ltd. Stephen Lum*
Zeelan Technology George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu

CC:
Intel Corporation Randy Wilhelm, Jerry Budelman,
                              Intel IBIS team

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *

Upcoming Meetings: The room and bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences
are listed below:
     Date Bridge Number Reservation #
     8/5/94 (415) 904-8944 #809164 (1 hour only)
     8/26/94 (415) 904-8944 #809164
     9/16/94 (415) 904-8944 #809164
     10/7/94 (415) 904-8944 #809164

(Yes, the phone and reservation numbers are the same for all these meetings!)

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM PDT (15:00 to 17:00 UTC). We try to have
agendas out 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7
days after. When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum
hosted by Will Hobbs and give the reservation number.

If you know of someone new who wants to join the e-mail reflector
(ibis@vhdl.org) send e-mail to ibis-request@vhdl.org.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

Meeting Agenda
--------------

Check-in
Intros of new IBIS participants Hobbs
Review of previous meeting's minutes Hobbs
Miscellany/Announcements/Treasurer's report Hobbs
Opens for new issues All
Press updates Hobbs/All
Progress toward enlisting new IC vendors All
New models available All
Golden Parser, 2.1 plans Hobbs
IBIS Librarian Powell
IBIS Cookbook Peters
Standards body affiliation Hobbs
Spice-to-IBIS Converter Ross
Pending BIRDs Hobbs
Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans Hobbs

Intros of new IBIS participants
None.

Review of previous meeting's minutes
There were no corrections made to last month's minutes.

Miscellany/Announcements/Treasurer's report
Nothing new to report on finances.

Opens for new issues
Bob Ross -- Number of Data Points in a Table.

Press updates
Nothing new to report.

Progress toward enlisting new IC vendors
Dave Moxeley will be working to get ASIC vendors to provide IBIS models.

New models available
None.

Golden Parser, 2.1
Paul Munsey, who wrote the V1.1 golden parser, spoke to the task. Paul
estimates 2x work/cost involved in creating the 2.1 parser. Paul can have the
work completed by Sept 30th. This schedule skips an official Beta phase.
Cadence, Interconnectix, HyperLynx, and Intel volunteered to help evaluate the
parser during the process.

Beta test was debated. Kellee recommended doing the Beta test. Consensus on
Beta testing reached later in the meeting. With Beta starting Sept. 30, final
release and ratification will occur in mid Nov.

Will took a quick roll-call to see if companies are willing to fund the work
at $500 each. 7 volunteered, 3 more are tentative. Since >20 V1.1 licenses
were sold, we should have no problem raising the extra $5,000 needed (we have
$4,000 in the bank).

Vote taken to hire Paul Munsey and co. with a Sept. 30 Beta due, and $9,000
fee. Unanimously approved.

Paul does not need any funding upfront, so we can decide the details of
collecting the money later.

Kellee recommends programming the parser to be fast, where reasonably
possible. Also, per our discussion at DAC, new data structures need to be
created for V2.0. Otherwise there were no comments on Paul's published list
of issues.

Several people volunteered to supply test files and statements of what is
wrong with them.

AR Stephen: Generate V2.0 test files for Paul by Aug. 1.
AR Kumar: Generate V2.0 package test files for Paul by Aug. 1.

Paul can be reached at (916) 784-7821, 73053.721@compuserve.com.

AR Derrick: Put Paul on the reflector. [Request submitted]

We need a parser evaluation plan. No one volunteered to do this task. We
need someone to own the validation effort.

AR Stephen: Start an evaluation/validation-plan discussion on the reflector.

Bob Ross volunteered to be the single point of contact for Paul. Paul will
also give status reports at each upcoming IBIS open forum meetings.

IBIS Librarian
Derrick proposed that it be left as is for now and reevaluated when we
affiliate and formalize ourselves. Then Michael Steer of NCSU volunteered to
handle the librarian task, including creating the scripts needed to
automatically parse incoming models. NCSU has servers that could probably
handle the database. Thank you Michael!

AR Michael: Post a proposal to the reflector. [Done]

IBIS Cookbook
Stephen and Derrick posted the cookbook to vhdl.org this week.

Standards Body Affiliation
Andy Graham of CFI (CAD Framework Initiative, graham@cfi.org) gave a quick
overview of CFI, which is interested in IBIS because it is a standard related
to modeling standards and the EDA industry. 40 CFI members represent 2x the
number of companies in other standards bodies. Most IC vendors already are
affiliated with CFI.

CFI believes they can help us on EDA and semiconductor vendor fronts,
certification, marketing, legal, and financial. Matched ARPA funding a
possibility. He recommends going after standards affiliation after we have
wide acceptance. Andy questions our assumption that associating with a
standards body will help get more semiconductor vendors producing IBIS models.

Cost issues are critical to the IBIS forum. We want to maintain easy access
by any company or group. Andy mentioned an example fee structure: a
compliance tool kit. Vendor pays fee, gets tool kit, gets reference
implementation, and a set of tests that can be used to verify compliance.
When passed, they get to advertise, using a brand mark. Certification costs
$5K for small guys for each major rev. For perspective, the average tool
street price is $20 - $30K. Certification is a quality issue.

AR Andy: Publish a two-page proposal for CFI affiliation.

Andy thinks Sematech should recognize IBIS.

Regarding copyright issues, CFI would own them. Otherwise, it would be
considered to be in the public domain. Copyright enables CFI to indemnify
people against claims of ownership of the standard.

Patti Rusher of the EIA sent Will Hobbs a proposal.

AR Will H: Post the proposal to the reflector. [Done]

Spice-to-IBIS Converter
Bob Ross and Scott Bloom are debugging the converter and adding some features.
 It is looking pretty good. NCSU should be able to post this out on the
reflector within the next few weeks.

Spice-to-IBIS2.0 will be a significant challenge. Bob wants the 2.0 converter
work to proceed after the 1.1 converter is completed.

Number of Data Points
Bob Ross proposed increasing the 100 datapoint limit to 101. Everyone agreed
that it makes sense. It will allow 100 points with 0 and 100 ends.

AR Bob: Publish a BIRD for this change. [ Done]

Pending BIRDs
Not discussed.

Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans
Will Hobbs and Derrick Duehren will be at a face-to-face Open Model Forum
meeting in San Jose. They can attend for only the first hour. We decided to
hold a one-hour meeting on 8/5/95 and regular meetings every third week
through October 7th.