Re: EGG1.0; specifying the .PKG file

From: Mike Ventham <ventham@quantic.mb.ca>
Date: Fri Mar 04 1994 - 11:47:31 PST

Gentle IBIS folk,

I pondered upon Eric's directory quandary purporting to package files and
suggest the following.

1) The package file should not be forced to be in the current directory but
   that should be the first place it is looked for.

2) The next place should be a sub-directory called "packages" (radical eh?).
   The subdirectory seperation character would be a conditional compilation
   in the parser dependent on whether it is UNIX or the backward sloping
   operating system developed by some window dressers.
   This enables a central directory for packages to be used by the use of
   links (if the OS supports it).

3) If it is not there then give a polite error to the user.

4) As the packages are likely to be passed via email the package file format
   will need the file name as part of the syntax along with any other data
   appropriate from the IBS file header.

5) Also one of our earlier discussions on packages mentioned the fact that
   although packages have a standard footprint, the chip size inside will
   vary and therefore affect the wirebond length and thus the package
   inductances. Therefore one package file for all DIP16s may not necessarily
   be be suitable, although I would expect it to be close. The question is :-
   what accuracy does the user want - given what Lynn was saying about IBM's
   308 pin packages.

Comments anyone?

Mike

--
|  Mike Ventham   Vice President Engineering                                  |