Re: Leadframe models, Worm

From: <bracken@valhalla.performance.com>
Date: Tue Mar 08 1994 - 07:38:51 PST

Bob,

  Regarding your "worm" :

  I think _I_ am convinced we'll have to permit a full matrix of
couplings to be specified. The BIRD will include that. Look for it
"real soon," despite the fact that the "file inclusion" issue still
appears to be unresolved.

  One thing I'm not clear about from your message: you speak of
transmission line effects, and apparently advocate doing whatever it
takes in the model in order to capture them. OK. Does this mean
you're pushing for us to be able to specify arbitrarily complex
networks as the package model? In general, the only way I know of
modelling a transmission line-LIKE structure with lots of 3-d bends
and tapers etc. is to cut the thing up into many series elements.
Now we've gone from a network with ONE series RL for each pin (plus
all the mutuals amongst them), into a network with MANY R's and L's
per pin, and a much larger thicket of mutuals to contend with.

  I'm willing to step up and write a BIRD for that, but I'd prefer
to do it with the sense that I had the "loving support" of the rest
of the forum. Anybody else (semi vendors, simulation customers)
care to comment?

--Eric

P.S. There's also a tie-in here with Ravender's "high-frequency" comment.
Are the nonlinear models (DC I-V curves) ready to step up to truly HIGH
speeds, or do they require enhancements? How can we decide?