Re: Bond wires

From: Ravender Goyal <Ravender_Goyal@pdxml1.mentorg.com>
Date: Wed Mar 09 1994 - 10:30:30 PST

        Reply to: RE>Bond wires
Again, having faced this problem in extreme situations such as RF/ telecom
circuit designs, there are closed form rules of thumb available that can
be used for bondwire modeling- both for wedge bonding as well as ball
bonding, with and without ground planes. These have worked well with me
upto 10- 12 GHz in the past. Such formulae are a function of distance
between bonding pads (Manhattan length), type of bonding techniques- wedge
or ball (determines the curvature in the bondwire path), distance from
ground plane (or no- ground plane), number of bondwires on a pad
(detemines the effective bondwire inductance- such as if you keep
increasing the number of bondwires in parallel believing it will be
decreasing the inductance, it is not true after second or third bondwire
there is minimal reduction in inductance), bondwire diameter, bondwire
material, etc. The other option is to use 3D field solvers to analyze bond
wires and provide the L and C matrices.

Ravender