Re: BIRD14 Comment

From: Arpad Muranyi <Arpad_Muranyi@ccm.fm.intel.com>
Date: Wed May 11 1994 - 18:32:01 PDT

---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: John M Keifer
Date: 5/11/94 4:22PM
To: Arpad Muranyi
Subject: Re[4]: BIRD14 Comment
To Bob Ross, and The IBIS Committee:

problems with overriding the IBIS [Model] sub-parameters. The IBIS
[Model]s are not supposed to be specs out of a data book; however, the
entire .IBS file should follow what is found in data books. The [Specs]
section would not contradict this. I expect this would only reduce the
number of redundant [Model]s, as you noted.

My intention with the [Specs] section is not to provide an unnecessary
level of indirection which could add to confusion to IBIS. Unfortunately
I don't see any better way to eliminate the redundant [Model]s without
adding this new section. Although I do believe we should make IBIS
simple and straightforward, that should not prevent us from making
improvements.

I am open to adding sub-parameters to the [Specs] section that might be
useful for efficiency. Regarding the Model-types as sub-parameters, the
Model-types I can see now that might overlap (i.e. have the same IV
curves, C_comp, and ramp rates) would be Output, I/O, and 3-state
buffers. However, if an Output is specified without clamp sections as
described in BIRD 15, (i.e. the clamps are included in the pullup and
pulldown sections because they cannot be measured separately) then only
the I/O and 3-state [Model]s would have the same data. Still, I can see
this as a potential gain in simplification, and if the IBIS Committee
agrees to it, I would not be opposed.

A couple of people have already suggested adding Rref and Vref in order
to cover open-drain [Model]s. I would also not be opposed to this if
the IBIS Committee agrees it is a good idea.

I am glad to hear that you agree with adding Vt. It IS the Output
counterpart of Vinl and Vinh; however, Cref is just as important. Cref
is not an actual absolute internal delay characterization. Valid delays
are specified into a Cref at a Vt, and therefore, the timing at an
output is based on this same Cref at Vt. Cref is not just a test
capacitance. It is a parameter that all simulators MUST use in order to
determine timings. Even though Cref is 0pF in many cases, it is still
used. It poses a serious handicap to those performing simulations to
have to add in this parameter manually because it is not included
in the IBIS [Model]. What database contains the load condition? Cref
is obtained from a data book and therefore should not contradict any
other database.

John Keifer
Intel Corporation

To John Keifer, Arpad Muranyi, and IBIS Committee:

There are two proposals in BIRD14. The first concerns a new keyword
[Specs]
to override parameters of a particular [Model]. There is merit in this
idea,
but I am currently opposed to doing this now for some contradictory
reasons -
it overrides some parameters that I feel should not touched, and it does
not
include some parameters which would really be useful for efficiency.
Furthermore, it provides an unnecessary level of indirection which can
add to
confusion to IBIS at this time and perhaps create a real problem for
implementors using IBIS. Before we introduce [Specs] we really need a
lot
more consideration as to what is to be included (e.g., should Model_type
also
be included as a practical override, is Cref needed in IBIS, etc.).
Your
point is well taken, however, that such a keyword can help reduce much
redundant [Model] data.

The second proposal is about adding two more Sub Parameters to [Model].
The
one parameter I really like is Vt for "test voltage". This is different
than the V_fixture of BIRD12.1 and is more like the Output counterpart
of Vinh and Vinl. I think it should be available as a timing
sub-parameter,
particularly for 3-state and Output models where Vinh and Vinl may not
be available to help provide an estimate of Vt. As you show in the
example,
Vt will give the intended voltage on which timing at the output is based
such
as 1.5V or 2.5V. However, I think Cref should NOT be included because
it is
really a timing specification test capacitance (the specification
resistance
typically 500 Ohm would then also have to be included), and IBIS at this
time
does not cover actual absolute internal delay characterization. Other
databases cover this area, and IBIS could incorrectly specify a
load condition that is not used in the other databases.

Bob Ross
Interconnectix, Inc.