BIRD5.4

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Sun May 15 1994 - 15:37:36 PDT

To IBIS Committee

BIRD5.4 is issued to further clarify how [Pin_mapping] would be formatted
and to address some additional details that were needed when attempting
to do the formatting. The proposed format appears first.

Bob Ross, Interconnectix, Inc.

                 Buffer Issue Resolution Document (BIRD)

BIRD ID#: 5.4
ISSUE TITLE: Pin Mapping for Ground Bounce Simulation
REOPENED BY: Bob Ross, Interconnectix, Inc.
DATE REOPENED: May 13, 1994
DATE REVISED: May 15, 1994
DATE REVISION ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:

BIRD ID#: 5.2
ISSUE TITLE: Pin Mapping for Ground Bounce Simulation
REQUESTOR: J. Eric Bracken, Performance Signal Integrity, Inc. and
               C. Kumar, Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
DATE SUBMITTED: 6 December 1993
DATE REVISED: 17 December 1993
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM: Jan 7, 1994

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:

  To be better able to simulate the ground bounce effect, it is
necessary to know which pins of a part are connected to a common
ground or power bus. This BIRD provides a simple mechanism for
identifying these common buses. This improves the simulation of
ground bounce by limiting the noise effects of switching drivers
to other drivers and receivers on the same bus.

STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

The [Pin_Mapping] keyword is added:

|===========================================================================
| Keyword: [Pin_Mapping]
| Required: Optional
| receiver, or terminator is connected.
| Sub-Params: pulldown_ref, pullup_ref, gnd_clamp_ref, power_clamp_ref
| Usage Rules: Each power and ground bus is given a unique name which must
| not exceed 15 characters. The first column contains a pin
| number. Each pin number must match one of the pin numbers
| declared previously in the [Pin] section of the IBIS file.
| The second column, "pulldown_ref", designates the ground bus
| connections for that pin. Here the term "ground bus" can
| also mean another "power bus". The third column "pullup_ref"
| designates the power bus connection. The forth and fifth
| columns "gnd_clamp_ref" and "power_clamp_ref" contain
| entries, if needed, to specify different ground bus
| and power bus connections than those previously specified.
|
| If the [Pin_Mapping] keyword is present, then the bus
| connections for EVERY pin listed in the [Pin] section must
| be given.
|
| Each line must contain either three or five columns. "NC"
| is used for entries which are not needed or which follow
| the conditions below:
|
| If a pin has no connection, then both the "pulldown_ref"
| and "pullup_ref" entries for it will be NC.
|
| GND and POWER pin entries and buses are designated by
| entries in either the "pulldown_ref" or "pullup_ref" columns.
| There is no implied association to any column other than
| through explicit designations in other pins.
|
| For any other type of pin, the "pulldown_ref" column contains
| the power connection for the [Pulldown] table for non-ECL type
| [Models]. This is also the power connection for the [GND_clamp]
| table and the [Rgnd] model unless overriden by a specification
| in the "gnd_clamp_ref" column.
|
| Also, the "pullup_ref" column contains the power connection
| for the [Pullup] table and, for ECL type models, the [Pulldown]
| table. This is also the power connection for the [POWER_clamp]
| table and the [Rpower] model unless overriden by a specification
| in the "power_clamp_ref" column.
|
| Column length limits are:
| [Pin_Mapping] 5 characters max
| pulldown_ref 15 characters max
| pullup_ref 15 characters max
| gnd_clamp_ref 15 characters max
| power_clamp_ref 15 characters max

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Pin_Mapping] pulldown_ref pullup_ref gnd_clamp_ref power_clamp_ref

1 GNDBUS1 PWRBUS1 | Signal pins and their associated
2 GNDBUS2 PWRBUS2 | ground and power connections

3 GNDBUS1 PWRBUS1 GNDCLMP PWRCLAMP
4 GNDBUS2 PWRBUS2 GNDCLMP PWRCLAMP
5 GNDBUS2 PWRBUS2 NC PWRCLAMP
6 GNDBUS2 PWRBUS2 GNDCLMP NC
                                           | Some possible clamping connections
| ..... | are shown above for illustration
| ..... | purposes
11 GNDBUS1 NC | One set of ground connnections.
12 GNDBUS1 NC | NC indicates no connection to
13 GNDBUS1 NC | power bus.
21 GNDBUS2 NC | Second set of ground connections
22 GNDBUS2 NC
23 GNDBUS2 NC
31 NC PWRBUS1 | One set of power connections.
32 NC PWRBUS1 | NC indicates no connection to
33 NC PWRBUS1 | ground bus.
41 NC PWRBUS2 | Second set of power connections
42 NC PWRBUS2
43 NC PWRBUS2
51 GNDCLMP NC | Additional power connections
52 NC PWRCLMP | for clamps
|==========================================================================

General Explaination:

  Each power and ground bus is given a unique name which must not
exceed 15 characters.

  An additional OPTIONAL keyword, [Pin_Mapping], is added to the
specification. Following this keyword is information indicating to
which power and ground buses a given driver or receiver is connected.
As an example of the new format, say that we have two ground buses
(named GNDBUS1 and GNDBUS2) which each bus together 3 pins:

  Pins: 11 12 13 21 22 23
           + + + + + +
           | | | | | |
           | | | | | |
  Buses: +-----+------+-----> to a few +-----+------+-----> to a few
              GNDBUS1 drivers GNDBUS2 more

and two similarly structured power buses (PWRBUS1 and PWRBUS2):

  Pins: 31 32 33 41 42 43
           + + + + + +
           | | | | | |
           | | | | | |
  Buses: +-----+------+-----> to a few +-----+------+-----> to a few
              PWRBUS1 drivers PWRBUS2 more

  We assume that the "signal name" for pins 11-13 and 21-23 are all
"GND", and that the names for pins 31-33 and 41-43 are all "VDD". The
new [Pin_Mapping] specification would be as follows:

[Pin_Mapping] pulldown_ref pullup_ref
1 GNDBUS1 PWRBUS1
2 GNDBUS2 PWRBUS2
11 GNDBUS1 NC
12 GNDBUS1 NC
13 GNDBUS1 NC
21 GNDBUS2 NC
22 GNDBUS2 NC
23 GNDBUS2 NC
31 NC PWRBUS1
32 NC PWRBUS1
33 NC PWRBUS1
41 NC PWRBUS2
42 NC PWRBUS2
43 NC PWRBUS2

Explanation:

  In the above example, the first column contains a pin number; each
pin number must match one of the pin numbers declared previously in
the [Pin] section of the IBIS file. The second column, "pulldown_ref",
designates the ground bus connection for that pin; similarly, the third
column, "pullup_ref", designates the power bus connection.

  For a GND pin, such as pins 11-13 and 21-23, the entry in the "pulldown_ref"
column indicates the ground bus to which it is attached. The entry in
the "pullup_ref" column is NC because there is, of course, no connection to
any power bus. The situation for a POWER pin (e.g. pins 31-33 and
41-43) is analogous.

  The above example also contains two ordinary signal pins (pins 1 and 2).
For these pins, the entries in the "pulldown_ref" and "pullup_ref" columns
+designate the ground and power buses to which their buffer models are
connected. Thus, for pin 1 there is an instance of the associated I-V
model which connects to PWRBUS1 and GNDBUS1. Pin 2 creates an
instance of an I-V model which connects to PWRBUS2 and GNDBUS2.

  If the [Pin_Mapping] keyword is present, then the bus connections for
EVERY pin listed in the [Pin] section must be given.

  If a pin has no connection, then both the "pullup_ref" and "pulldown_ref"
entries for it may be NC.

Optional Extension:

[Pin_Mapping] pulldown_ref pullup_ref gnd_clamp_ref power_clamp_ref
1 GNDBUS1 PWRBUS1
2 GNDBUS2 PWRBUS2
3 GNDBUS1 PWRBUS1 GNDCLMP PWRCLAMP
4 GNDBUS2 PWRBUS2 GNDCLMP PWRCLAMP
11 GNDBUS1 NC
12 GNDBUS1 NC
13 GNDBUS1 NC
21 GNDBUS2 NC
22 GNDBUS2 NC
23 GNDBUS2 NC
31 NC PWRBUS1
32 NC PWRBUS1
33 NC PWRBUS1
41 NC PWRBUS2
42 NC PWRBUS2
43 NC PWRBUS2
51 GNDCLMP NC
52 NC PWRCLMP

Explanation of Optional Extension:

This extension illustrates a hypothetical situation where the clamping
circuitry is connected to different rails than those of the pullup and pulldown
tables. Pins 51 and 52 are hypothetical clamping supplies, and their
attachments are shown at pins 3 and 4.

While the nomenclature can lead to some potential confusion, the intended
operation is according to this interpretation:

The "pulldown_ref" column contains the power connection for the [Pulldown]
table for non-ECL type [Models]. This is also the power connection for the
[GND_clamp] table unless overriden by a specification in the gnd_clamp_ref
column.

The "pullup_ref" column contains the power connection for the [Pullup] table
and for ECL type models, the [Pulldown] table. This is also the power
connection for the [POWER_clamp] table unless overriden by a specification
in the power_clamp_ref column.

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION:

  One of the more serious causes of noise in digital circuits is the
voltage spike created on a device's power or ground line due to the
sudden switching of a very large current into that line. This can
occur when other drivers share a power or ground bus with the device
in question. Most modern packages incorporate many different power
and ground pins and then internally connect them to several different
power and ground buses. The drivers and receivers are carefully
assigned to certain buses to minimize the potential impact of
switching noise on the part's operation.

  Without a knowledge of this device-to-bus assignment, it becomes
impossible to perform even a first-order simulation of the ground
bounce effect. One cannot know which pins will influence any given
driver or receiver. The proposed BIRD attempts to rectify this
situation, while still observing an 80-character-per-line limit.

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

  Please note that, in order to make the simulation possible, the
modelling engineer must specify the (self-)resistance and inductance
for each power and ground pin in the model. The present BIRD does not
address any inductive or resistive drops along the internal bus--these
are assumed to be zero (the bus is treated as a perfect short between
pins). Under this assumption, the equivalent impedance seen by the
drivers on the bus can be found by taking the parallel combination of
the series R-L impedances for each of the GND or POWER pins connected
to the bus.

  Bird 5.2 has been issued in response to comments from the Forum members
over the use of the term "NA" in Bird to indicate the lack of a connection.
NA = "not available," which would have caused confusion. This version of
the Bird has been updated to use "NC" (= "no connection") instead.
Otherrwise, there are no changes from Bird 5.1.

Reopened BIRD5.3 Background Information:

BIRD5.2 is suitable as an extension to IBIS Version 1.1, but it needs
some additional columns to be FULLY compatible with BIRD3 which supports
up to 4 DIFFERENT Voltage References. Per the May 13, 1994 Forum and
comments from Eric and Kumar, BIRD5.3 is issued.

The extension consists of two additional, OPTIONAL columns for
specifically designating [GND_clamp] and [POWER_clamp] connections. They
will be rarely used. But in cases where the [PULLUP] is referenced to 3.3V,
and the [POWER_clamp] to 5V, this extension would be useful. Also, there
may need to be some clarification for ECL model types.

Using BIRD5.2 as a basis and showing it completely for reference, the
changes consist of "optional extension" and "explanation of optional
extension" in the STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS section.

Two further changes are included: Per Eric's comment, I have reduced the
column lengths. While 10 was suggested, I selected 15 as being a less drastic
reduction while maintaining an 80 chararters per line. I do not see expansion
in the number of rails, so I think this is reasonable.

I agree with modifying the column names and have opted for a 3rd (compromise)
choice from those selected by Kumar and Eric. The names suggested by Kumar
caused the keyword line to exceed 80 characters, so I truncated the
"_reference" to "_ref". I also changed "pwr" to "power" since "power" is
is used throughout Version1.1 and in the proposed BIRDS. I used the
underbar separation by Eric for "gnd_clamp_ref" and "power_clamp_ref".

Note, while BIRD5.3 was originally intended for ground bounce simulation,
it also provides the table to map external supplies connected to the pins
to any [Model] within the [Component].

  BIRD 5.4 was needed for specification formatting information and resolution
of further details.