DRAFT IBIS Rev 2.0, Part 1

From: Derrick Duehren <Derrick_Duehren@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Wed May 25 1994 - 01:00:20 PDT

Text item: Text_1

Key to right-most column revision marks:
   ## = Editor Comments
   $ = Change from Version 1.1
Post comments to the IBIS reflector. We will discuss this draft at the 5/27/94
IBIS teleconference. The bridge number is (415) 904-8800 #744468, 8:00 AM to
10:00 AM PDT (15:00 to 17:00 UTC).
- Derrick Duehren (Derrick_Duehren@ccm.jf.intel.com)
----------------------------------- Cut Here ----------------------------------
|==============================================================================
|==============================================================================

| Statement of Intent:
|
| In order to enable an industry standard method to electronically transport
| IBIS Modeling Data between silicon vendors, simulation software vendors, and
| end customers, this template is proposed. The intention of this template is
| to specify a consistent format that can be parsed by software, allowing each
| simulation vendor to derive models compatible with their own product.
|
| One goal of this template is to represent the current state of IBIS data,
| while allowing a growth path to more complex models / methods (when deemed
| appropriate). This would be accomplished by a revision of the base
| template, and possibly the addition of new keywords or categories.
|
| Another goal of this template is to ensure that it is simple enough for
| silicon vendors and customers to use and modify, while ensuring that it is
| rigid enough for software simulation vendors to write reliable parsers.
|
| Finally, this template is meant to contain a complete description of the I/O
| elements on an entire component. Consequently, several models will need to
| be defined in each file, as well as a table that equates the appropriate
| buffer to the correct pin and signal name.
|
| Version 1.1 of this electronic template was finalized by an industry-wide
| group of simulation experts representing various companies and interests.
| "IBIS Open Forum" meetings were held biweekly to accomplish this task.
|
| Commitment to Backward Compatibility. Version 1.0 is the first valid IBIS
| ASCII file format. It represents the minimum amount of I/O buffer
| information required to create an accurate IBIS model of common CMOS and
| bipolar I/O structures. Future revisions of the ASCII file will add items
| considered to be "enhancements" to Version 1.0 to allow accurate modeling
| of new, or other, I/O buffer structures. Consequently, all future
| revisions will be considered super sets of Version 1.0, allowing backward
| compatibility. In addition, as modeling platforms develop support for
| revisions of the IBIS ASCII template, all previous revisions of the
| template must also be supported.
|
| Version 1.1 update. The file "ver1_1.ibs" is conceptually the same as
| the 1.0 version of the IBIS ASCII format (ver1_0.ibs). However, various
| comments have been added for further clarification.

$| Version 2.0 update. The file "ver2_0.ibs" maintains backward compatibility
$| with Versions 1.0 and 1.1. A complete list of changes to the specification
$| is in the IBIS Version 2.0 Release Notes document ("ver2_0.rn").
$|
|==============================================================================

$| General syntax rules and guidelines for ASCII IBIS files:

$| 1) The content of the files is case sensitive, except for reserved
$| words, parameters, sub-parameters, and keywords. Reserved words and
$| keywords are not case sensitive, and file names must be all lower case.

| 2) The following words are reserved words and must not be used for
| any other purposes in the document:
| POWER - reserved model name, used with power supply pins,
| GND - reserved model name, used with ground pins,
| NC - reserved model name, used with no connect pins,
| NA - used where data not available.

$| 3) File names used in the file must only have lower case characters to
| enhance UNIX compatibility and must conform to DOS rules. (The length of
| a file name should not exceed eight plus three characters and it must
| not contain special characters which are illegal in DOS).
|
| 4) The file must have no more than 80 characters per line.
|
| 5) Anything following the comment character is ignored and considered a
| comment on that line. The default "|" (pipe) character can be changed
| by the keyword [Comment char] to any other character. The [Comment char]
| keyword can be used throughout the file as desired.
|
| 6) Keywords must be enclosed in square brackets, [], and must start in
| column 1 of the line.

$| 7) Underscores and spaces are equivalent in keywords. Spaces are not
$| allowed in sub-parameter names.

| 8) Valid scaling factors are:
$| T = tera k = kilo n = nano
$| G = giga m = milli p = pico
$| M = mega u = micro f = femto

|==============================================================================
| Keyword: [IBIS Ver]
| Required: Yes
| electronic parsers of the kinds of data types that are
| present in the file.
| Usage Rules: [IBIS Ver] must be the first keyword in any IBIS file. It is
| normally on the first line of the file, but can be preceded
| by comment lines that must begin with a "|".
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$[IBIS Ver] 2.0 | Used for template variations
|==============================================================================
| Keyword: [Comment char]
| Required: No
| "|" (pipe) character, if desired.
| Usage Rules: The new comment character to be defined must be followed by
| the underscore character and the letters "char". For example:
| "|_char" redundantly redefines the comment character to be
| the pipe character. The new comment character is in effect
| only following the [Comment char] keyword. The following
| characters can NOT be used: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P
| Q R S T U V W X Y Z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u
$| v w x y z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [ ] . _ / = + -
| Other Notes: The [Comment char] keyword can be used throughout the file, as
| desired.
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Comment char] |_char
|==============================================================================
| Keyword: [File name]
| Required: Yes
| Usage Rules: The file name must comply with normal DOS rules (8 char. max.
| and no characters that are illegal in DOS). In addition, it
| must be all lower case, and use the extension ".ibs".
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$[File name] ver2_0.ibs
|==============================================================================
| Keyword: [File Rev]
| Required: Yes
| Usage Rules: Revision level is set at the discretion of the engineer
| defining the file. The following guidelines are recommended:
| 0.x silicon and file in development
| 1.x pre-silicon file data from silicon model only
| 2.x file correlated to actual silicon measurements
| 3.x mature product, no more changes likely
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[File Rev] 1.0 | Used for .ibs file variations
|==============================================================================
| Usage Rules: The [Date] information is allowed to contain blanks, and be of
$| any format up to 40 characters.
$|
$| Because IBIS model writers may consider the information in
$| these keywords essential to users, and sometimes legally
$| required, design automation tools should make this information
$| available. Derivative models should include this text
$| verbatim. Any text following the [Copyright] keyword must be
$| included in any derivative models verbatim.
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$[Date] 06/09/94 | The latest file revision date

[Source] Put originator and the source of information here. For example:
                From silicon level SPICE model at Intel.
                From lab measurement at IEI.
                Compiled from manufacturer's data book at Quad Design, etc...

[Notes] Use this section for any special notes related to the file.

[Disclaimer] This information is for modeling purposes only, and is not
                guaranteed. | May vary by component

$[Copyright] Copyright 1994, XYZ Corp., All Rights Reserved

|==============================================================================
| Keyword: [Component]
| Required: Yes
| circuit named after the keyword.
| Usage Rules: If the .ibs file contains data for more than one component,
| each section must begin with a new [Component] keyword. The
| length of the Component Name must not exceed 40 characters,
| and blank characters are allowed.
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$[Component] Component Name | e.g., 7403398 MC452
$|
|==============================================================================
| Keyword: [Manufacturer]
| Required: Yes
| Usage Rules: The length of the Manufacturer's Name must not exceed 40
| characters (blank characters are allowed, e.g., Texas
| Instruments). In addition, each manufacturer must use a
| consistent name in all .ibs files.
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Manufacturer] Manufacturer's Name | e.g., Intel Corp.

|==============================================================================
| Keyword: [Package]
| Required: Yes
| inductance, and capacitance of the component pins.
| Sub-Params: R_pkg, L_pkg, C_pkg
| Usage Rules: The typical (typ) column must be specified. If data for the
| other columns are not available, they must be noted with "NA".
| Other Notes: If RLC parameters are available for individual pins, they can
| be listed in columns 4-6 under keyword [Pin]. The values
| listed in the [Pin] description section override the default
$| values defined here. Use the [Package Model] keyword for more
$| complex package descriptions. If defined, the [Package Model]
$| data overrides the values in the [Package] keyword.
$| Regardless, the data listed under the [Package] keyword must
$| still be valid.
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Package]
| variable typ min max
R_pkg 250.0m 225.0m 275.0m
L_pkg 15.0nH 12.0nH 18.0nH
C_pkg 18.0pF 15.0pF 20.0pF
|==============================================================================
| Keyword: [Pin]
| Required: Yes
| pins and signal names.
| Sub-Params: signal_name, model_name, R_pin, L_pin, C_pin
| Usage Rules: All pins on a component must be specified. The first column
| must contain the pin name. The second column, signal_name,
| gives the data book name for the signal on that pin. The
| third column, model_name, associates the I/O model for that
| pin. Each model_name must have a [Model] keyword below,
| unless it is a reserved model name (POWER, GND, or NC).
|
| Each line must contain either three or six columns. A pin
| line with three columns only associates the pin's signal and
| model. Six columns can be used to override the default
| package values (specified under [Package]) FOR THAT PIN ONLY.
| When using six columns, the headers R_pin, L_pin, and C_pin
| must be listed. If "NA" is in columns 4 through 6, the
| default packaging values must be used.
|
| Column length limits are:
| [Pin] 5 characters max
| model_name 20 characters max
| signal_name 20 characters max
| R_pin 9 characters max
| L_pin 9 characters max
| C_pin 9 characters max
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Pin] signal_name model_name R_pin L_pin C_pin

  1 RAS0# Buffer1 200.0m 5.0nH 2.0pF
  2 RAS1# Buffer2 209.0m NA 2.5pF
  3 EN1# Input1 NA 6.3nH NA
  4 A0 3-state
  5 D0 I/O1
  6 RD# Input2 310.0m 3.0nH 2.0pF
  7 WR# Input2
  8 A1 I/O2
  9 D1 I/O2
 10 GND GND 297.0m 6.7nH 3.4pF
 11 RDY# Input2
 12 GND GND 270.0m 5.3nH 4.0pF
| .
| .
| .
 18 Vcc3 POWER
 19 NC NC
 20 Vcc5 POWER 226.0m NA 1.0pF
|==============================================================================
## PENDING BIRD14.1 ADDITION FOR VERSION 2.0 ##
$|==============================================================================
$| Keyword: [Pin Extension 1]
$| Required: Optional
$| Associates additional component specifications for the
$| various external pins.
$| Sub-Params: Vinl, Vinh, Vmeas, Rref, Vref, Cref, C_comp
$|Usage Rules: Only pins that have values different from the default
$| values specified in the [Model] sub-parameters should be
$| listed. Sub-parameters not used on a line must be
$| filled in with NA. All sub-parameters must be separated
$| by at least one blank space. Use this keyword to avoid
$| duplicating models due to minor differences in pin
$| specifications. The definitions of Rref, Vref, Cref and
$| C_comp are found under the [Model] keyword.
$| Column length limits are:
$| Pin 5 characters max
$| Vinl 6 characters max
$| Vinh 6 characters max
$| Vmeas 5 characters max
$| Rref 5 characters max
$| Vref 5 characters max
$| Cref 5 characters max
$| C_comp 6 characters max each for "typ", "min", and "max"
$|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$[Pin Extension 1]
$| C_comp
$| -------------------
$Pin Vinl Vinh Vmeas Rref Vref Cref typ min max
$1 0.8V 2.0V 1.5V NA NA 50pF 4.5pF 3.0pF 6.0pF
$4 NA NA 2.5V NA NA 30pF NA NA NA
$9 1.5V 3.5V NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
$12 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
$13 NA NA NA 50 5V NA NA NA NA
$|
$|##################### END OF PENDING BIRD 14.2 ###############################
$|==============================================================================
$| Keyword: [Package Model] Package_Model_Name
$| Required: No
$| Usage Rules: The Package_Model_Name is limited to 40 characters.
$| Spaces are allowed in the name. The name should include the
$| company name or initials to help ensure uniqueness. If the
$| package model is in a separate .pkg file, it must be kept in
$| the same directory as the .ibs file.
$| Other Notes: Use the [Package_Model] keyword within a [Component] to
$| indicate which package model should be used for that part.
$| The specification permits .ibs files to contain [Define
$| Package Model] keywords as well. These are described
$| in the "package modeling" section below. When package model
$| definitions occur within an .ibs file, their scope is
$| "local"--they are known only within that .ibs file and no
$| other. In addition, within that .ibs file, they override any
$| globally defined package models that have the same name.
$|
$| NOTES ON PACKAGE MODELS AND SEPERATE FILES
$|
$| Keywords for [Define Package Model] through [End Model Data] are
$| defined in the "package modeling" section of this specification. Note that
$| the actual package models can be in a separate file <package_file_name>.pkg.
$| or may also exist in the IBIS files between the [Define Package Model]...[End
$| Model Data] keywords for each package model that is defined. For reference,
$| these keywords are shown below. Refer to the "package modeling" section
$| of this specification for full descriptions, syntax and usage. Simulators
$| that do not support these keywords will ignore all entries between the
$| [Define Package Model] and [End Model Data] keywords.
$|
$| [Define Package Model]
$| [Manufacturer]
$| [OEM]