APPROVED BIRD20.1

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Fri Nov 18 1994 - 14:44:00 PST

IBIS Members:

BIRD20.1 is an APPROVED version of BIRD20, but contains the text revisions
discussed in the November 18, 1994 meeting to replace explicit references
to "IBIS_CHK" with a more generic "syntax checking program" verbage.

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.

                      Buffer Issue Resolution Document (BIRD)

BIRD ID#: 20.1
ISSUE TITLE: Error correction regarding monotonicity statement in V2.1
               IBIS specification.
REQUESTOR: Kellee Crisafulli, HyperLynx Inc.
DATE SUBMITTED: 10-10-94
DATE REVISED: 11-18-94
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM: 11-18-94

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE: There are two errors in the IBIS version 2.1
specification regarding monotonicity. During the meeting on 10-7-94 the
IBIS forum agreed to change the specification to correct these errors.

STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:
The following changes apply to version 2.1 of the specification and IBIS_CHK
program.

Change 1- Delete the note about 'non-monotonic in one axis'
In the section defining the keywords [Pulldown], [Pullup], [GND Clamp],
[POWER Clamp] and following the paragraph titled "Monotonicity Requirements"
the following note is present:

| Note that the above conditions allow the data to be
| non-monotonic in one axis.

The above two lines shall be deleted from the specification.

Change 2- Add two paragraphs from BIRD 8.2
Add the following two paragraphs where the sentence from change 1 above
is removed. This is not an error or even a warning. It was down-graded
to a simple NOTE: in BIRD 8.2

*
* An IBIS syntax checking program shall
* test for non-monotonic data and
* provide a maximum of one note per V/I table if non-montonic
* data is found. For example:
* "NOTE: Line 300, Pulldown V/I table for model DC040403 is
* non-monotonic! Most simulators will filter this data
* to remove the non-monotonic data."
*
* It is also recognized that the some data may be monotonic if
* currents from both the output stage and the clamp diode are
* added together as most simulators do. To limit the complexity
* of the IBIS Version 2.0 syntax checking programs, such
* programs will conduct monotonicity testing only on one
* V/I table at a time.

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION: The problems were discovered while
the new IBIS_CHK V2.x program was being written. The problems were reported
to the IBIS forum at the 10-7-94 meeting by Arpad of Intel.

ORIGINAL BIRD20.0 TEXT:

*
* The IBIS_CHK program will test for non-monotonic data and
* provide a maximum of one note per V/I table if non-montonic
* data is found. For example:
* "NOTE: Line 300, Pulldown V/I table for model DC040403 is
* non-monotonic! Most simulators will filter this data
* to remove the non-monotonic data."
*
* It is also recognized that the some data may be monotonic if
* currents from both the output stage and the clamp diode are
* added together as most simulators do. To limit the complexity
* of the version 2.0 IBIS_CHK program, it will consider only one
* V/I table at a time monotonicity testing.

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
Bird 8.2 address's this issue.