IBIS 10/7/94 Meeting Minutes

From: Derrick Duehren <Derrick_Duehren@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Tue Oct 18 1994 - 13:49:10 PDT

Text item: Text_1

Date: Oct. 17, 1994

From: Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, fax (503) 696-4210
         Will_Hobbs@ccm2.jf.intel.com
         XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, IBIS Open Forum
         Intel Corporation
         5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 USA
         and
         Derrick Duehren (503) 696-4299, fax (503) 696-4904
         Derrick_Duehren@ccm.jf.intel.com
         Intel Program Manager

Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Meeting 10/7/94

To:
AT&T Global Info Systems Dave Moxley
Anacad Steffen Rochel
Ansoft Henri Maramis
Atmel Corporation Dan Terry
Cadence Design Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar*
Cadlab Ralf Bruning
Contec Maah Sango
Digital Equipment Corp. Barry Katz*
EIA Patty Rusher
High Design Technology Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
HyperLynx Kellee Crisafulli*
IBM Jay Diepenbrock, Joseph Flanigan
IBM-Motorola alliance Lynn Warriner, Hoa Quoc, John Burnett
Integrated Silicon Systems Eric Bracken*
Integrity Engineering Greg Doyle
Intel Corporation Stephen Peters*, Don Telian*, Will Hobbs*
                              Arpad Muranyi*, Derrick Duehren*
Interconnectix, Inc. Bob Ross*, Scott Bloom*
Intergraph Ian Dodd*, David Wiens
IntuSoft Charles Hymowitz
Mentor Graphics Ravender Goyal
Meta-Software Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney
NEC Hiroshi Matsumoto
MicroSim Arthur Wong
National Semiconductor Syed Huq
North Carolina State U. Steve Lipa, Michael Steer
OptEM Engineering, Inc. Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
PC Ware Paul Munsey*
Quad Design Jon Powell*
Quantic Labs Mike Ventham*
Racal-Redac John Berrie
Siemens Nixdorf Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier
Stanford University Randy Harr
Symmetry Martin Walker
Synopsys, Logic Modeling G. Bill Lattin
Texas Instruments Bob Ward
Thomson-CSF/SCTF Jean Lebrun
UniCAD Canada Ltd. Stephen Lum
Zeelan Technology George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu
Mon Seng(?), Stree Co.

CC:
Intel Corporation Randy Wilhelm, Jerry Budelman,
                              Intel IBIS team

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.

Upcoming Meetings: The room and bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences
are listed below:
     Date Bridge Number Reservation #
     10/28/94 (916) 356-9999 406222
     11/18/94 (916) 356-9999 406223
     12/9/94 (916) 356-9999 406224

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM PDT (15:00 to 17:00 UTC). We try to have
agendas out 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7
days after. When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum
hosted by Will Hobbs and give the reservation number.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

Check-in, Intros, Announcements
A new person joined us, Mon Seng(sp?), of Stree Co., Santa Clara, which makes
graphics accelerators.

There were no corrections made to last month's minutes.
AR Mon, send your email address to Derrick (address above).
AR Derrick: Mail last meeting minutes to Mon.

So far, 5 companies have paid for the 2.0 parser. HP, HyperLynx, Quad Design,
Interconnectix, and Intel. Four others reported having the paperwork in
process.

New Agenda Items: Scope, Non-monotonic data

Press Updates: IBIS was mentioned in a paper and seminar that Ravender
presented at ISHM/ Nordic in Finland this week attended by more than 150
technical experts from Nordic and other European countries.

The IBIS overview article has been approved by Intel Legal and should be able
to be forwarded to EDN next week.

Nikkei Press Editor asked Will for an update on Version 2.0.

AR Will/Derrick: Draft a press release with current status.

Progress toward enlisting new IC vendors
Intel960 family IBIS models are now available through Intel's American
Marketing Organization bulletin board and Intel's sales force. When they are
fully validated, Intel will post them to vhdl.org.

Syed posted a sample 2.0 model to vhdl.org.

Golden Parser, 2.0
Paul reported that he has draft 2.0 parser disks ready. Will will mail them
out on Monday. Source and PC-executable files are included. The readme file
contains instructions for building the parser. This Beta release is for a
6-week review. V1.0 regression testing has yet to be done.

AR Beta Users: Run as many IBIS 1.1 and 2.0 files as possible.

Jon Powell volunteered to create a Sun version. Will will send Jon the
approved distribution list. Several other formats were volunteered.

AR Paul: Give the parser a unique name, such as IBIS_CK2, and forward the
files to Will. [Done]

NOTE: The sooner that Paul receives feedback, the sooner he can revise the
parser and send it out for further review.

IBIS Librarian
PC version of Spice-to-IBIS "lost" on vhdl.org.
The group discussed timeliness of responses to vhdl.org requests.
AR Michael Steer: Please post a note to the reflector indicating the typical
responsiveness we can expect from the librarian.

Spice-to-IBIS Converter
Interconnectix has used the converter to make commercial IBIS files. Bob told
of problems in the [Pull-up] table section. The data tended to become
nonmonotonic at the ends.

2.0 BNF
Bob Ross plans to post an update next week. Done.

IBIS General Session (face-to-face)
Will proposed that we have our next face-to-face meeting the day after ICCAD,
Friday November 11th in San Jose. However, the Beta test won't be done. We
agreed that we need at least 10 test models to properly test the parser. We
decided to postpone the meeting until January. We will schedule it at our
next meeting.

Agenda suggestions:
   o 2.1 Ratification
   o EIA Affiliation
   o Technology presentations

Update: Will proposes scheduling the general session for early December to
maintain momentum.

Monotonicity
We agreed that our intention is that there can be parts that are
non-monotonic. The 2.0 spec has an erroneous line that was never intended.
Kellee volunteer to write BIRD 20 to make the spec more like the original
passed BIRD 8.2. We agreed to implement BIRD 20 in the draft parser with the
expectation that it will be approved at our next meeting.

AR Kellee: Post BIRD 20 and communicate the changes to Paul Munsey.

Scope
We agreed that each file has its own syntactic scope.

Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans
Our next meeting is 10/28/94.

                                      NOTES
If you know of someone new who wants to join the e-mail reflector
(ibis@vhdl.org), send e-mail to ibis-request@vhdl.org.

Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous
discussions and results. You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from
telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an email request to the automatic
archive server, archive@vhdl.org.