Re: Non-Monotonic Drivers

From: Jon Powell <uunet!qdt.com!jonp@uunet.uu.net>
Date: Thu Aug 31 1995 - 16:57:18 PDT

>>As far as the simulators are concerned, the
>>simulator I work on, will be able to use that
>>data without any problems. I think that some
>>other simulators give "error" messages or
>>"correct" such a data because they assume that
>>such a device does not exist and therefore, the
>>user may have made a mistake in specifying that
>>information. If they know that the specification
>>is intentional, then they may be able to use that
>>data with very minor modifications to the simulator.

I disagree with this accessment. Unless the feedback speed
of the path is known an accurate guess cannot be made as to
how to simulate the device. Of course, if the feedback path just
doesn't matter then it doesn't so much matter what you guess.
I would like us to explore a mechanism for behaviorally defining
this feedback path/speed.

At the very outside, I have seen two different devices that had
non-monotonic IV curves that looked approximately the same at DC.
One had a feedback path that was 20ns (it was only used for changing
the long term DC operating point of the device) and another had a feedback
path that was "instantaneous". It is my claim that these two devices would
have different simulations even though they would have identical IBIS models.

that is all.

jon