RE: IBIS MINUTES 12/01/95

From: Herrmann Hank <hank.herrmann@amp.com>
Date: Wed Dec 06 1995 - 05:29:00 PST

Bob,

First I want to congratulate you on spelling my name correctly. That
almost never happens. Also, you have done an excellent job of capturing all
the discussions that took place in the last meeting.

There are two points that I think were discussed that I did not see in the
minutes. Perhaps they were too small to include but I would like to clarify
and confirm them.

First, I thought someone mentioned the desire to discuss connector modes at
the Face-to-Face Meeting in January. I wonder if anyone has any specific
points they would like to discuss. Since I am considering trying to attend,
this could significantly influence my decision. (Cross country trips for a
one day meeting are not popular with me or my management.)

Second, when BIRD 31 was discussed, I recognized the need for many users to
have unmated models to simulate "not-fully-populated busses". They would
not be used for such analyses as cables or I/O connectors when there is a
complete interconnection. While we do not routinely supply unmated models
now, there is no reason that they could not be provided. They would even be
simpler than "part of the mated model" which the BIRD suggests. What I
recommend is that two types of connector models be defined. First, mated
models for most interconnection applications. Second, unmated models that
have no through connection for situations that demand simulations of
 "not-fully-populated busses".

I hope these points are helpful to the forum. I enjoyed participating with
you all and look forward to future work together.

Regards,

Hank Herrmann
Technical Staff Member
AMP Incorporated, Electro-Magnetic Technology
M.S. 106-14
P.O. Box 3608
Harrisburg, PA 17105-3608

            Phone: 717-986-5534