Re: Clarifications on IBIS standard

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Thu Feb 02 1995 - 18:19:00 PST

Fred and Raj:

As Will Hobbs, Chairman of IBIS Forum responded, the ibis@vhdl.org reflector is
the appropriate place to ask questions. Several questions have resulted in
good discussions and refinements to IBIS.

Here are some of my thoughts on your questions.

(1) The Golden Parser is in the final stages of review, and the final version
is expected shortly (weeks). We cannot commit to an exact date.

(2) Monotonicity has been a big concern with the committee and has generated
a lot of discussion. Some simulators are more sensitive to non-monotonic
data than others. Without getting totally bogged down in this discussion
here, I will just respond that some [Pulldown] tables are non-monotonic
in the negative voltage region. When the data is summed with the [GND Clamp]
table, the TOTAL table is monotonic. Even simulators that are sensitve to
non-monotonic data will usually handle this case. The Golden Parser gives
a non-monotonic data warning. So, if necessary, you can adjust the data.
The overall philosophy in allowing non-monotonic tables is that IBIS presents
raw data extractions without appling any particular data modification
strategy which would corrupt the data.

(3) The transition algorithms regarding the [Pulldown] and [Pullup] tables
will probably be different between simulator companies. Also, some companies
convert the IBIS data into their internal representations, so their existing
transition algorithms are used. Generally, the transition algorithms are
not public. The Waveform table extension in IBIS Version 2.0 captures actual
reponses and can be used to check the accuracy and/or to shape the transitions.

(4) Adjustments to the [GND Clamp] table can be made to create an effective
R_comp if it is parallel to C_comp. If the resistance is in series, it possibly
can be lumped with R_pin or the default R_pkg sub-parameters. We need
to know about the specific concerns to provide more detail.

(5) You are right, IBIS does not provide an Input pulse specification for
deriving Ramp rates (and Waveform Tables). A reasonable guideline is to
mimic actual conditions for which the device would be used. Therefore it is
probably better not to mandate a specific condition. The voltage swing should
be appropriate for the technology, e.g., 0 to 5V for CMOS and about 0 to 3V
for TTL. A signal faster than the expected Ramp rates is my preference,
although a case could be made to provide a response that mimics the
data book input ramps specified for timing tests. Possibly a 50 Ohm series
resistance approximating the pulser source impedance and trace environment
to the device input should be included. However, since the actual thresholds
are narrow (several 100 mV), the Ramp rates and Waveform tables should not
differ significantly for any reasonable, appropriate Input.

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.