BIRD25.1 DATA DERIVATION EXPANSION

From: Jon Powell <uunet!qdt.com!jonp@uunet.uu.net>
Date: Wed Feb 08 1995 - 10:25:37 PST

| The [Model] sub-parameter C_comp allows optional "min" and "max" values.
| If extractable, the values under the "min" and "max" columns shall be
| obtained under the same conditions that the other data is extracted.
| Otherwise, if only the range of values is known, the smallest value
| should be placed in the "min" column, and the largest value in the
| "max" column.

I feel that this statement is too weak. We are proposing a change to the way a
model is created. Presumably this means a change to the IBIS version number
(2.1 -> 2.2). I think it is reasonable to require that 2.2 rev. models follow
the stronger requirement of min max definition. If you don't know where the data
came from then it is either a) a 2.1 model b) unsuitable for use c) wrong.

The problem is that if we allow this multiple definition there is no way to determine
how the data was collected and so me must ALWAYS assume that the data is WRONG and so
this strengthening does not accomplish anything.

It is as if we have said: You can fix the problem or not, and you don't have to tell
us which you did.

respectfull submitted,
jon powell