Re: BIRD25.1 DATA DERIVATION EXPANSION

From: Francis Kai <fkai@dellgate.us.dell.com>
Date: Wed Feb 08 1995 - 14:06:00 PST

I just received the mail from Mr. Richard Schumacher about
"rationale". I do not have too many math books in my office,
however, I do have a lot in my Houston home. One book that
I have in office is "Mathematical Analysis" by Tom M. Apostol,
second edition. In Apostol's book, page 6, Section 1.8, he says
the following:

     Quotients of integers a/b (where b/= 0) are called
rational numbers.

I also check my dictionary, Webster'II New Riverside University
Dictionary, page 1012, it says,

rational 4.Math. Designating an algebraic expression no
            variable of which appears in an irreducible radical
            or with a fractional exponent.

rationale 1.The fundamental reasons for something: BASIS

I believe we should use rational instead of rationale.
The page number is 976.

Regards,
Francis Kai
Dell Computer Corporation