re: IBIS Users' Group

From: <Mark=Leonard%CAE%PCPD=Hou@bangate.compaq.com>
Date: Tue Feb 28 1995 - 14:05:41 PST

Gary brings up a good point about the lack of an established
IBIS model library out on the VHDL ftp server (the exception
being Intel, of course). Without an IBIS champion or two from
the user community, however, I doubt the situation will change
very rapidly.

I think there's a couple of different approaches we can take to
populate the model libraries. First off, whenever we get models
directly from a vendor we can suggest they submit their models
to the IBIS model champion as well. I've done this twice this
month, though without success. I'll try to push the issue again
sometime soon. Similar efforts from other companies are going
to be required to expand the public libraries.

A second approach would be to directly share each other's
existing libraries. We currently have a fairly extensive signal
integrity model library at Compaq (though only a small portion
of it is in IBIS format). Some of the library can't be shared for
legal reasons, but I bet most most of the behavioral models
could be after getting an OK from the vendor. Unfortunately,
this approach gets a little tricky when considering the competitive
nature of many of our companies. I don't have a problem sharing
with non-competitive companies, but would probably have to
consider everyone else on a case by case basis. Until models
are more readily available I imagine Compaq isn't the only
company that feels this way (those of us that feel we have an
advantage in the market aren't interested in giving it away). I
see the same situation among the various EDDY companies -- I
don't see any of those companies posting their libraries in the
public domain.

Anyway, a new IBIS user's group would be the logical step
to start dealing with this topic. I'll join everybody else in
saying I prefer the reflector to a news group.

Mark Leonard
Compaq Computer Corporation
mleonard@bangate.compaq.coma