FW: IBIS users group (What will it take?)

From: Derrick Duehren <Derrick_Duehren@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Tue Feb 28 1995 - 15:54:01 PST

Subject: FW: IBIS users group (What will it take?)
Author: rharr@arpa.mil at SMTPGATE
Date: 2/28/95 2:56 PM

You might get some action and help after all! The note below is a request to
Synopsys MIS/NCS to fix the vhdl.org NEWS feed and installation. We will wait
and hope for the best.

BTW, there is a procedure to go through to setup a "recognized" and "accepted"
USENET news group, if this is what you are really looking for. From what I
recall in setting up comp.lang.vhdl a few years ago, it takes a proposal from
within another (existing) newsgroup and an online, electronic ballot for 30
days. If, at the end, a certain threshold of "yes" votes is received (100, if
I recall correctly), then a message is sent to create a newsgroup
automatically in 99% of the machines which exchange news.
Setting up a USENET (Internet) wide IBIS group (assuming what you want is
something like comp.lang.ibis?) is independent of having NEWS working on
vhdl.org.

We have always wanted to get setup an email-based USENET news read/submit
capability. The software is on the net but we do not have the time to track
it down and install it. Much like you can use email to get "FTP" available
files, you can use email to a) subscribe to a news group (receiving USENET
news messages via email), and b) submit messages to a news group. IBIS
community members without news could use this method to stay in touch and the
interaction will be just like the current email reflector. Others with
USENET news readers could have all the benefits of NEWS (instead of email)
such as threads, etc. which make reading and traversing the information more
useful.

Finally, you can have local (to a machine or domain) news groups which are
locally sponsored and cared for. This would require NEWS working on vhdl.org.

What were you really looking for?

Randy Harr