Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Meeting 2/24/95

From: Derrick Duehren <Derrick_Duehren@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Wed Mar 01 1995 - 05:16:38 PST

Text item: Text_1

Date: Feb. 28, 1995

From: Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, fax (503) 696-4210
         Will_Hobbs@ccm.jf.intel.com
         XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, IBIS Open Forum
         Intel Corporation
         5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA
         and
         Derrick Duehren (503) 696-4299, fax (503) 696-4904
         Derrick_Duehren@ccm.jf.intel.com
         Intel Program Manager, IBIS Secretary

Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Meeting 2/24/95

To:
Apple Computer Duane Talsahashi
ARPA Randy Harr
AT&T Global Info Solutions Dave Moxley*
Anacad Steffen Rochel
Ansoft Henri Maramis
Atmel Corporation Dan Terry
Cadence Design Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar
Cadlab Ralf Bruning
Contec Dileep Divekar*
Digital Equipment Corp. Barry Katz
EIA Patty Rusher
High Design Technology Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
HP Palo Alto Tom Langdorf
HP EESof Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
HyperLynx Kellee Crisafulli*
IBM Jay Diepenbrock, Joseph Flanigan
IBM-Motorola alliance Lynn Warriner, John Burnett
INCASES Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier
Integrated Silicon Systems Eric Bracken
Intel Corporation Stephen Peters*, Don Telian, Will Hobbs*
                              Arpad Muranyi*, Derrick Duehren*
Interconnectix, Inc. Bob Ross*
Intergraph Ian Dodd, David Wiens, Walter Katz
IntuSoft Charles Hymowitz
Mentor Graphics Ravender Goyal, Greg Doyle
Meta-Software Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney
MicroSim Arthur Wong
National Semiconductor Syed Huq*, Raj Raghuraum, Atul Agarwal*
NEC Hiroshi Matsumoto
North Carolina State U. Steve Lipa, Michael Steer
OptEM Engineering, Inc. Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
Pacific Numerix Paul K. U. Wang
PC Ware Paul Munsey, Ron Neville
Quad Design Jon Powell*
Quantic Labs Mike Ventham
Racal-Redac John Berrie
Symmetry Martin Walker
Synopsys, Logic Modeling G. Bill Lattin
Texas Instruments Bob Ward
Thomson-CSF/SCTF Jean Lebrun
UniCAD Canada Ltd. Stephen Lum
Zeelan Technology George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu

CC:
Intel Corporation Randy Wilhelm, Jerry Budelman,
                              Intel IBIS team

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.

Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are
listed below:
     Date Bridge Number Reservation #
     3/17/95 (916) 356-9999 461603
     4/7/95 (916) 356-9999 461605
     4/28/95 (916) 356-9999 461609

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM Pacific Time (16:00 to 18:00 UTC). We try
to have agendas out 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out
within 7 days after. When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open
Forum hosted by Will Hobbs and give the reservation number.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

Check-in, Intros, Announcements
There were no new participants.

There were no corrections made to last month's minutes.

Will reported that Meta Software has licensed the Parser.

AR Derrick: Note on the charter document that National Semiconductor has paid
for the parser and inform Patti Rusher at EIA. [DONE]

Conference Management Systems requested (and Will approved) a $500 payment to
CMS for their services over the last two years. This amount is less than half
what they typically charge. CMS had been providing the service free with the
expectation that we would eventually become a paying client. CMS is now
transferring our remaining funds ($1,400) to our EIA account.

There were no new agenda items.

Press Updates:
Integrated Systems Design, March `95, pg 12 and pg 84
EETimes,2/6, Pg 8
Electronic news, 2/6, pg 52

New Models Available:
Syed posted two 2.1 models, unchecked with parser because Michael does not have
the parser.
  ds26c31.ibs, an RS-422 Quad Diff Line Driver
  ds26c32.ibs, an RS-422 Quad Diff Line Receiver

Note: Bob Ross checked the files with the 2.1 parser and they passed.

AR Jon -- get new parser binary to Michael.

We discussed the need for a "Beta" directory in the vhdl.org library with a
strong disclaimer file. Jon suggested having some means of enabling people to
post models for evaluation. Will suggested indicating in the IBIS file name
that the file is experimental/not final. Possibly, the "Beta" directory could
be a publicly read/write.

AR Michael -- Please make a proposal for this capability [Michael has agreed to
make a proposal].

Progress toward enlisting new IC vendors
Mike Ventham reported via email to Derrick that he has requested contact
information from VLSI in Phoenix, but has not received anything yet.

Dave Moxley is working with ASIC suppliers, and has gotten preliminary IBIS
models from two of them. The files are not passing the parser yet, but Dave is
working with them to get them right.

Kellee is working with National and Xylinx. He expects Xylinx to have a set of
2000, 3000, 4000 Xylinx IBIS models for the vhdl.org library in a few months.

We discussed the potential need for a separate reflector or newsgroup for IBIS
users. [Update, many messages bouncing around the reflector on this topic.]

Golden Parser 2.1 progress and release date
Many did not receive their copies. Will will reissue the parser and asked if
everyone could validate the GP by Friday 3/3/95. The approved parser is needed
to get the EIA spec approval process going.

Jon reported that he can do cross-compilation of the parser for all but DOS
platforms and will update us next week.

AR Will -- Resend the Rev 4 Golden Parser to the 13 licensees. [DONE -- Will
apologizes. His admin. had prepared the disks to go out and then went on a
short medical leave -- it was forgotten.]

AR Derrick/Will -- Post Golden Parser 2.1 release approval process. [DONE. The
13 licensees will discuss and vote via email. No vote (silence) will be
considered a YES vote.]

Status of EIA affiliation
Will and Derrick met with Patti Rusher of the EIA yesterday. Patti is OK with
everything in our charter.

EIA is now handling our finances. All checks can now be made to "EIA". Any
payments still sent to CMS will be forwarded to the EIA.

Patti will be sending a letter (which Will and Derrick have reviewed) to those
in the roster document. The fee structure we decided upon is included.

We discussed the cost of sending out a hardcopy of the spec (and possibly a
floppy). Kellee volunteered to put together an IBIS "starter kit" with the
spec, parser executable, overview, cookbook, and sample models, which we can
make available as a floppy with the hardcopy spec. Suggested list price of $20
for spec only, $50 for starter kit.

We need a formal process to respond to balloting comments. Bob Ross suggested
we have a subcommittee draft a response, have the whole committee review the
comment, and then respond officially. Kellee volunteer to chair the committee,
and Bob Ross and Jon Powell will participate. Kellee wants to make sure the
to get their support.

Rev 2.1 updates
o S2IBIS 2.1 Bob Ross reported that Michael Steer has a student assigned
              to work on the conversion utility, but the funding has not
              yet arrived. Bob Ross suggested that they modularize the
              program before expanding it further.

o Cookbook It could easily be a 3 person-month effort to redo this book.
              It may be more practical to make smaller changes and additions
              to the existing book. Syed is creating an internal book for
              generating models from bench measurement. It is in rough draft
              form now. Syed will check to see if there is any confidential
              information included. He thinks that he'll be able to make the
              material available

              Kellee volunteered to coordinate the Cookbook update/Starter
              Kit. Bob Ross and Syed will help. Bob thinks he may have tech
              pubs help available, though he can't commit yet.

              Syed put an article in HTML form, and posted it for Mosaic in
              NSC. Rumor is that the next version of Word can export HTML
              directly. If we had a vhdl.org IBIS home page, we could link to
              companies that support IBIS, etc.

AR Kellee -- post information on public domain Mosaic software [DONE].

o Overview This document could be rolled into the cookbook.

BIRD 25.2
Will reported that Intel has discussed this BIRD internally. Intel's position
is that "C_comp is considered an independent variable. This is because C_comp
includes bonding pad capacitance, which does not necessarily track fabrication
process variations. The conservative approach to using IBIS data will
associate large C_comp values with slow, weak models, and the small C_comp
values with fast, strong models." (The low value should go in the Min.
column.) This means that we have 4 potential models out of each set of data.
In 3.0, we may want to add a keyword that can indicate which C_comp goes with
the first ramp and vice-versa, if the model provider so chooses.

The consensus is that C_comp is magnitude.

AR Bob R. -- Add a sentence indicating that "This is an independent variable."
[DONE]

Bob Ross stepped through each paragraph of the BIRD 25.2. He suggested that
portions may be good for inclusion in the new cookbook.

Roll-call vote taken. BIRD 25.3 approved unanimously (including the quoted
text above.).

AR Bob -- Repost as approved BIRD 25.3. [DONE]

We discussed options for rolling this BIRD into the spec. If we put this BIRD
into the spec, the spec will need to be rolled to 2.2, the parser will also
need to be updated.

We also identified a need for a formal Golden Parser bug list that identifies
everything that the parser does not check.

Two issues are left on the table: First, should we roll in this BIRD before
sending the 2.1 Spec out for EIA vote or wait to roll it in along with any
other changes that come out of the voting process. Second, should be upgrade
the parser to catch all 2.1 issues that it does not currently check for?

Jon volunteered to do coding work on the GP.

Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans
Our next meeting is a teleconference 3/17/95.
Suggested Topics:
o Tim Schreyer's findings on Diode effects.
o Directions for MCM.

                                      NOTES
If you know of someone new who wants to join the e-mail reflector
(ibis@vhdl.org), send e-mail to ibis-request@vhdl.org.

Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous
discussions and results. You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from
telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an email request to the automatic
archive server, archive@vhdl.org.