Re: SPICE to IBIS

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Tue Jul 25 1995 - 12:38:00 PDT

Richard:

I am not sure I understand fully the problem, but here is an attempt at some
answers.

Regarding the I/O pin in output mode, controlled by an "input" which itself
is an internal output, you somehow may have to break the connection for the
internal_data_out_pin inside the subcircuit so that this node is just an
input connection. Then a phantom input can be created, but would not show
up in the IBIS model if the "**NoModel" option is used with an artifical
pin number. The "**NoModel" option was created for this type of problem
where the external pin modeled by a Spice circuit is controlled by an internal
input. The syntax for the I/O pin would reference this internal pin number as
the "input_pin".

Regarding the second point where min (or weak, slow) and max (or strong, fast)
process models are available, s2ibis to was not set up to deal with this
very practical problem. IBIS itself does not put constraints on the stategy.
Currently s2ibis could be used in a cumbersome manner by using the **Iterate
option. First the deck would be set up with the "typ" models and executed.
Then the "min" *.spi files would be edited by substituting the "min" models.
Similarly for the "max" *.spi files. These modified files would be executed
manually to produce *.out files. Then s2ibis is reinvoked to generate the
IBIS file. The **Iterate option prevents generating new *.spi and *.out
files where *.out files already exist.

An updated version of s2ibis for version 1.1 is planned to have an option
that will support separate "min", "typ" and "max" Spice models. When this
is implemented, you will not need to do any manual execution.

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.