BIRD29.1 Banded_matrix Extension

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Mon Jun 05 1995 - 18:37:00 PDT

IBIS Members:

BIRD29.1 is offered as a compromise proposal that supports the existing
Banded_matrix functionality under IBIS Versions 2.0 and 2.1. The
definitions were extended to overcome the technical limitations in a
manner that two types of Banded_matrix formats can be supported by that
designation. Normally it is not desirable to overload a parser with
multiple definitions, but exception is made here because of the minor but
important difference, the ease in which this can be done, and the eventual
preference of the using extended definition for *.pkg libraries over the
original definition.

The technical limitation that this proposal overcomes is significant
enough to be considered for the EIA proposed standard of Version 2.1. Yet
the functionality changes are done with minimal clarification additions
and no keyword or subparameter nomenclature changes.

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.

                 Buffer Issue Resolution Document (BIRD)

BIRD ID#: 29.1
ISSUE TITLE: Banded_matrix Extension
REQUESTOR: Bob Ross, Interconnectix, Inc.
DATE SUBMITTED: 26 May 1995
DATE REVISED: 5 June 1995
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM: Pending

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:

In the Package Model description in IBIS Version 2.1, the Banded_matrix
format needs to be extended to remove a technical limitation.

STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

The relevant portion of the original Specification is given along with
edited remarks or deletion comments are designate by "|*" lines.

|==============================================================================
| Keyword: [Bandwidth]
| Required: Yes (for Banded_matrix matrices only)
| must be a nonnegative integer. This keyword must occur after
| the [Resistance Matrix], etc. keywords, and before the matrix
| data is given.
| Usage Rules:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Bandwidth] 10

|==============================================================================

|==============================================================================
| Keyword: [Bandwidth]
| Required: Yes (for Banded_matrix matrices only)
| must be a nonnegative integer. This keyword must occur after
| the [Resistance Matrix], etc. keywords, and before the matrix
| data is given.
| Usage Rules:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Bandwidth] 10

|==============================================================================
| Specify the banded matrix one row at a time, starting with row 1 and
| working up to higher rows. Mark each row with the [Row] keyword, as
| above. As before, symmetry is exploited: do not provide entries below the
| main diagonal.
|
|* For case where coupling can circle back on itself, consider a matrix of
|* N pins organized into N rows 1 ... N and M columms 1 ... N, 1 ... B.
| The first row only needs to specify the entries [1,1] through [1,1+B] since
|* all other entries are guaranteed to be zero. The second row will need to
|* specify the entries [2,2] through [2,2+B], and so on. For row K
|* the entries [K,K] through [K,K+B] are given when K + B is less than or
|* equal to the size of the matrix N. When K + B exceeds N, the entries in the
|* last columns 1 ... B specify the coupling to the first rows. For row K, the
|* entries [K,K] ... [K,N] [K,1] ... [K,R] are given where R =
|* mod(K + B - 1, N) + 1. All rows will contain B + 1 entries.
|*
|* For the case where coupling does not circle back on itself, the process is
|* modified. Only N columns need to be considered. When K + B finally exceeds
|* the size of the matrix N, the number of entries in each row starts to
| decrease; the last row (row N) has only 1 entry.
|
| As in the Full_matrix, if all the entries for a particular row do not fit
| into a single 80-character line, the entries can be broken across several
| lines.
|
| It is possible to use a bandwidth of 0 to specify a diagonal matrix (a matrix
| with no coupling terms.) This is sometimes useful for resistance matrices.
|
|****************************************************************************
|
| Sparse_matrix
|
| A Sparse_matrix is expected to consist mostly of zero-valued entries, except
| for a few nonzeros. Unlike the Banded_matrix, there is no restriction on
| where the nonzero entries can occur. This feature is useful in certain
| situations, such as for Pin Grid Arrays (PGAs.)
|
| As usual, symmetry can be exploited to reduce the amount of data by
| eliminating from the matrix any entries below the main diagonal.
|
| An N x N Sparse_matrix is specified one row at a time, starting with
| row 1 and continuing down to row N. Each new row is marked with [Row]
| keyword, as in the other matrix formats.
|
| Data for the entries of a row is given in a slightly different format,
| however. For the entry [I, J] of a row, it is necessary to explicitly
| list the name of pin J before the value of the entry is given. This
| specification serves to indicate to the parser where the entry is put into
| the matrix.
|
| The proper location is not otherwise obvious because of the lack of
| restrictions on where nonzeros can occur. Each (Index, Value) pair is
| listed upon a separate line. An example follows. Suppose that row 10
| has nonzero entries [10,10], [10,11], [10,15], and [10,25]. The
> [...]
[Row] 10
| Index Value
10 5.7e-9
11 1.1e-9
15 1.1e-9
25 1.1e-9

| Note that each of the column indices listed for any row must be
| greater than or equal to the row index, because they always come from
| the upper half of the matrix. When alphanumeric pin names are used,
| special care must be taken to ensure that the ordering defined in the
| [Pin Numbers] section is observed.
|
| Also, note that it is again necessarily the case that the N'th
| row of an N x N matrix has just a single entry (the diagonal entry.)
|
|**** Reword the Above Sentence: *******************************
|
|* With this convention, please note that the N'th row of an
|* N x N matrix has just a single entry (the diagonal entry).
|
|****************************************************************
|==============================================================================

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION

In order to reduce the size of the symmetrical matricies, there are several
statements describing data entries only ON or ABOVE the main diagonal.
That was the intention of the banded-matrix description. However the
format prevented entering the coupling between the last pins and the
first pins.

A simple 4-pin example with a bandwidth of 1 illustrates the problem. The
"data" entries are the two digit subscripts of the matrix entries and are
shown using quote marks "".

Version 2.1 does not allow defining the coupling between pin 4 and 1:

[Inductance Matrix] Banded_matrix
[Bandwidth] 1
[Row] 1
   "11" "12"
[Row] 2
   "22" "23"
[Row] 3
   "33" "34"
[Row] 4
   "44"

One possible solution is to augment the Banded_matrix format for the
first rows by the entries that could not be entered in the last rows.
This would preserve the ABOVE the diagonal convention.

[Inductance Matrix] Banded_matrix
[Bandwidth] 1
[Row] 1
   "11" "12" "14"
[Row] 2
   "22" "23"
[Row] 3
   "33" "34"
[Row] 4
   "44"

However, the solution proposed here is to keep the number of columns the same
and to wrap around the entries for the last rows as needed. Technically
the entries are BELOW the main diagonal. The "41" entry would really be
entered as "14" in the reduced upper-triangle matrix data structure.

[Inductance Matrix] Banded_matrix
[Bandwidth] 1
[Row] 1
   "11" "12"
[Row] 2
   "22" "23"
[Row] 3
   "33" "34"
[Row] 4
   "44" "41"

BIRD29.1 provides another way looking at the formating. The "41" entry can
now be viewed as an upper-triangle entry of the original matrix augmented
by repeating columns 1 ... B. Using symmetry, this format gives all of
the information needed to describe all coupling by the B adjacent pins.

Commentors on BIRD29 discussed nomenclature (banded, bandwidth, bordered block
diagonal matrix) and proposed other terms. One concern was whether to retain
the existing definition and add another term (such as Augmented_matrix) to
handle the wrap around situation. The revised data entry format can still be
referred to as banded when the first N columns are augmented by repeating
existing columns 1 ... B.

For compatibility reasons, support of the existing Banded_matrix format was
desireable. The proposed new format was only a slight variation on the
existing format, so it did not seem appropriate to introduce new nomenclature
for the change. The solution proposed in BIRD29.1 is to accept simutaneously
both format options. The intent is allow the technically robust functionality
within the existing nomenclature, and to allow the technically limited
descriptions be supported where wrap around coupling is of no concern. This
works because the terms missing in the existing format are zero in the more
robust format. The old format should be phased out rather than endorsed by
separate notation which must be supported indefinitely because it would allow
technically incomplete package model libraries.

This is a compromise position between those who would like the original
format definition deleted and those who would like to see both formats
supported using different terminology. The parser definition will be
overloaded, but for this situation, this is not a significant complication.

This problem does not occur in the Sparse_matrix format. So the restriction
text has a minor change in that portion of the Specification.

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION