Minutes: 5/5/95 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting

From: Derrick Duehren <Derrick_Duehren@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Tue May 23 1995 - 09:51:00 PDT

 DATE: May 23, 1995

 SUBJECT: 5/5/95 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes

 PARTICIPANTS: (Voting members are indicated by [M].)
 ARPA Randy Harr
 AT&T Global Info Solutions Dave Moxley*
 Anacad Steffen Rochel
 Ansoft Henri Maramis
 Atmel Corporation Dan Terry
 Cadence Design [M] Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar*
 Cadlab Ralf Bruning
 Contec [M] Dileep Divekar*
 Digital Equipment Corp. Barry Katz
 EIA Patty Rusher*
 High Design Technology Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
 HP Palo Alto Tom Langdorf
 HP EESof Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 HyperLynx [M] Kellee Crisafulli
 IBM Jay Diepenbrock, Joseph Flanigan
 IBM-Motorola alliance Lynn Warriner, John Burnett
 INCASES [M] Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier
 Integrated Silicon Systems Eric Bracken
 Intel Corporation Stephen Peters*, Don Telian, Will Hobbs*
                               Arpad Muranyi*, Derrick Duehren*, Tim Schreyer*
 Interconnectix, Inc. [M] Bob Ross*
 Intergraph Ian Dodd, David Wiens, Walter Katz
 IntuSoft Charles Hymowitz
 Mentor Graphics Ravender Goyal, Greg Doyle
 Meta-Software Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney
 MicroSim Arthur Wong
 National Semiconductor [M] Syed Huq*, Raj Raghuraum, Atul Agarwal
 NEC [M] Hiroshi Matsumoto
 North Carolina State U. Steve Lipa, Michael Steer
 OptEM Engineering, Inc. Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
 Pacific Numerix Paul K. U. Wang
 Quad Design Jon Powell*
 Quantic Labs [M] Mike Ventham
 Symmetry Martin Walker
 Synopsys, Logic Modeling G. Bill Lattin
 Texas Instruments [M] Bob Ward
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF [M] Jean Lebrun
 UniCAD Canada Ltd. [M] Stephen Lum
 Zuken-Redac [M] John Berrie
 Zeelan Technology George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.

 Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
 follows:
      Date Bridge Number Reservation #
      5/26/95 (916) 356-9999 485256

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM Pacific Time. We try to have agendas out
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will
 Hobbs and give the reservation number.

 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 CHECK-IN, INTROS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, TREASURE'S REPORT
 There were no corrections made to last month's minutes.
 There were no new participants.

 The spec and a press release will go out for ballot Monday. [Update: Ballots
 sent.]

 NEW AGENDA ITEMS:
 None.

 PRESS UPDATES:
 April 17 Electronic Press, older press release
 April, Computer Design, big article

 NEW MODELS AVAILABLE:
 Derrick's mail to get models listed that aren't public got 2 good responses,
 yet no actual data yet.

 EIA IBIS MEMBERSHIP UPDATE:
 Patti reported that there are 12 voting members, $4,700 in the bank, plus
 $1,400 from our old account.

 Patti will be sending out the IBIS 2.1 ballot to DAD and the roster, and some
 of the JEDEC committee, as well as EDIF and DIE, hard copy.

 Went through a roll call to see who should be receiving the parser as a
 double-check. Contec has not received theirs, but has subscribed. [Update:
 Will has now updated all recipients of the Parser.]

 PROGRESS TOWARD ENLISTING NEW IC VENDORS
 None.

 GOLDEN PARSER 2.1 PROGRESS AND RELEASE DATE
 Will polled those present to ensure everyone who should have the latest parser
 (Beta4) has it. Arpad recommends that Paul fix the extra LF CRs (BIRD? ) It
 is not in the parser. This would be a separate utility. [Update: Beta5 and
 Beta6 have been distributed since the 5/5/95 meeting.]

 Decided: We want the librarian to ensure that all files posted to ibis/models
 are in UNIX LF CR notation format.
 AR Jon -- Communicate this message to Michael Steer.

 PLANS FOR IBIS MEETING AT DAC (JUNE 2ND - 16TH)
 We will have a face-to-face meeting at DAC to elect officers and conduct other
 business Thurs. 6/15/95. We decided to move the IBIS meeting to 1:00 pm to
 5:00 pm. Cadence volunteered to host the meeting room for Thursday.

 Topics:
   Election of officers
   Package Issues
   Status of balloting

 We discussed the possibility of creating a simple IBIS data sheet and decided
 to purchase reprints of the EDN article on IBIS.

 AR Derrick -- Send order info to Pattie, get 2,000 color copies (approx. $2K).
 [Done]

 Placards. We decided to have Jon order 40 and send the invoice to Pattie
 Rusher (the IBIS Committee will pay for them). They can be used at DAC and
 other future events.

 EIA, VITAL, CFI, etc., are in a booth at DAC (#935). The booth theme will be
 a standards roadmap. Article reprints will be available at the booth.

 REV 2.1 UPDATES
 o S2IBIS 2.1 No discussion.

 o Cookbook No discussion.

 o Overview No discussion.

 DIODE TRANSIT TIMES
 Diode transit time: Tim hasn't had a chance to post his work to the reflector
 yet, but Jon Powell discussed his work modeling diodes via a voltage
 dependence capacitance ("Semiconductor Device Modeling with Spice", by
 McGraw-Hill). He found extremely good correlation between this work and Spice
 simulations. He feels that in addition to the stored charge effect, the
 turn-off of the diode creates an impedance discontinuity that adds to the
 spike. Kumar suggests we represent this as a C/V curve, but Jon feels this is
 a single number uniquely determined by the transit time, so a table is not
 necessary. Both Arpad and Syed disagree, feeling there are 3 contributors to
 it. Arpad described a method using a curve tracer to derive the forward
 biased and reverse biased capacitance. Dileep says you need to measure the
 stored charge, by forward biasing the diode for awhile, then letting it
 discharge and measuring the current.

 After 15 minutes of discussion, we decided to continue the discussion on the
 reflector.

 BIRD 26 - TAB CHARACTERS DISCOURAGED IN .IBS FILES
 We do not have quorum. `Official (quorum) vote' delayed again.

 BIRD 27 - NEW KEYWORD FOR DIFFERENTIAL I/O
 Bob Ward not present to defend his idea. Tabled until he can comment.

 EGG - TRANSMISSION LINE PACKAGE MODELS
 There has been lively discussion on the reflector. Stephen gave an overview.

 There is not agreement on the scope of the proposal. Jon and Kumar feel that
 the approach is good, but in six months we will want to have something more
 extensible, particularly for MCM or PCB type applications. Forks,
 intermediate loads, etc., when there are multiple chips/loads in the package,
 are a problem not addressed by the Egg. Kumar proposes using Spice
 terminology, with coupled transmission lines added. Stephen suggested we call
 it a "node-based description" to avoid the straight jacket of Spice. We will
 continue the discussion on the reflector.

 AR Kumar -- Post an EGG with your proposals and an example.

 AR Stephen -- Jon did not get your package models. Please follow up.

 SGML/HTML SUPPORT (WWW)
 Syed volunteered to provide some materials for an IBIS WWW home page.
 Suggestions: FAQ, general pointers, articles, maybe the EDN article, previous
 DAC presentations. Contact Cecilia Fleming (703) 907-7554, cfleming@eia.org.

 WRAP-UP, NEXT MEETING PLANS
 Our next meeting is a teleconference 5/26/95.

                                       NOTES

 IBIS CHAIR: Will Hobbs (503) 264-4369, Fax (503) 264-4210
             Will_Hobbs@ccm.jf.intel.com
             Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, EIA IBIS Open Forum
             5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy M/S JF1-50, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA

 VICE CHAIR: Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
             JonP@qdt.com
             1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010

 SECRETARY: Derrick Duehren (503) 264-4299, fax (503) 264-4904
             Derrick_Duehren@ccm.jf.intel.com
             Intel Program Manager

 To become a voting member of the EIA IBIS Open Forum, send email to
 ibis-info@vhdl.org for instructions.

 If you want to join the e-mail reflector (ibis@vhdl.org), send e-mail to the
 IBIS secretary at ibis-request@vhdl.org.

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous
 discussions and results. You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from
 telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an email request to the automatic
 archive server, archive@vhdl.org.