Re: BIRD29 Banded_matrix Correction

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Mon May 29 1995 - 11:06:00 PDT

Eric:

Thank you very much for your comments that are attached below. Since you
were the originator of the coupling matrix extension to IBIS, your assessment
of any change is critical.

I interpret your response that you would favor such an "expansion" to IBIS.
I will provide a revision to BIRD29 per your comments. It would be helpful
to me if you could review some wording changes (and/or provide alternative
text) to correctly deal with the Banded_matrix designation in IBIS.

PROPOSED ADDITIONAL TEXTS DESIGNATED BY "|*" :

| Banded_matrix
|
| A Banded_matrix is one whose entries are guaranteed to be zero if they
| are farther away from the main diagonal than a certain distance, known
| as the "bandwidth." Let the matrix size be N, and let the bandwidth
| be B. An entry [I,J] of the matrix is zero if:
|
| | I - J | > B
|
| where |.| denotes the absolute value.
|*
|* The Banded_matrix format conforms to this definition, except that it also
|* allows for the off-diagonal entries to describe coupling between the first
|* and last pins. The Banded_matrix format supports a constant-sized band
|* of entries for each row and is not limited to be in strict compliance with
|* the traditional mathematical definition.
|
| The bandwidth for a Banded_matrix must be specified using the [Bandwidth]
| keyword:

|==============================================================================

The BIRD29 issue is not one of mathematical purity, but of practical reality.
One of the main applications is for a simple user interface format for
flat pack package configurations, especially those with high pin counts and
small spacing. Often pin 1 is centered along one side and next to the
highest numbered pin. Even flat pack configurations for the standard
logic families have pin 1 centered along one edge. I think that the
"Banded_matrix" format is the natural and appropriate format, and it should
be defined to support the actual coupling between adjacent pins. There
is no value and there is actually harm to wait for Version 3.0 to make
the technical inclusion proposed in BIRD29 because the IBISCHK2 parser would
test and enforce a non-practical restriction while IBISCHK3 would operate
in a different manner.

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.