re: Name for new banded matrix structure

From: Bob Ward <bward@phoenix.net>
Date: Wed May 31 1995 - 19:33:25 PDT

All -

I have looked in several books on matrix topics and find that there are
two names used for matrices structured as this one turns out. One is the
bordered block banded form Eric mentioned, and one is augmented banded.
In either case what we end up here is a slightly degenerate form of the
real thing, but it would seem to work in practice for what we want to
accomplish by it. It would not be used in the stated form for
computation, but must be transformed by the paerser to a "more correct"
form for computation in any case.

But one question occurs to me ... would it not make the parse a little
simpler if the entries were augmented into the first rows rather than the
last, to avoid having to reverse the subscripts when placing the values?
 What I am afraid of is another situation like the Vdd relative pullup IV
table, correct but confusing, especially to newcomers to ibis. I can
make the argument that there is a special case to be handled in either
case, but the first row approach seems more like seeing what you get.

All the best,

Bob Ward bward@phoenix.net