January Face to Face, and, calling all IC vendors

From: Will Hobbs <Will_Hobbs@ccm.jf.intel.com>
Date: Tue Nov 07 1995 - 13:40:00 PST

Text item:

Arpad,

I think 1 day will be aggressive, but will leave us energized to go out and
conquer the world. Two days would be enough time to cover stuff in much more
detail, but I fear everyone would go away drained. A 1 day meeting forces us to
stay on track, which is a good thing. It's also easier to schedule around. I
suppose I could be persuaded otherwise, though.

Regarding getting other IC vendors to actively participate, this mailing list
contains people in probably a dozen IC companies, and hopefully this mail will
entice them to comment and participate. I'm not opposed to having people
actively solicited either.

So, here is a call to arms: How about a show of strength from the semiconductor
manufacturers? I would like to see your concerns, plans, issues, problems,
questions, etc., aired and I'd like to see your participation in the January
meeting.

Will

Will,

No, I don't mind at all, I just wasn't sure whether what I suggested was already
part of any of your items, and I did not want to make a fool of myself in the
open public.

On the other hand, I agree with your topics. Now, taking into consideration the
IC vendors' problems, do you think we should invite people from companies, who
do not attend the Open Forum yet? I mean to have companies other than National
Semiconductor and Intel represented. After all, tool vendors would not know
much about IC vendors' problems, and the Open Forum consists primarily of tool
vendors...

Of course the next question will be: is one day enough for addressing all these
topics?

Arpad
Arpad,

Thanks. It is a fifth category, and should be addressed. I posted my
question/suggestion to call attention to the fact that a whole class of issues
never addressed by the forum, the IC vendors' test problem, needs addressing
and could benefit from mutual discussion.

I hope you don't mind that I posted this reply to the reflector.

>Will

>Which category would "what goes into IBIS3 and when will it happen" belong to?
>I feel we will need some time for those topics also.

Arpad

IBISians,

At our January summit, I would like to suggest an organization to the
meeting: we've generally mixed the presentations between model
providers, EDA vendors, and others. I'd like to make the divisions a
bit more crisp, so we can pursue some common themes that various groups
might have. I suggest we divide the meeting into the following sections:

1. Semiconductor Vendors and their plans and concerns, such as:
    - Model generation
    - Model guarantee
    - Test issues
    - ...
2. Other Model Providers (same issues)
3. Users and their concerns
    - Obtaining models they need
    - Trusting the models
    - Getting the information in the model that is critical (what do
      they use/need the models for and when?)
    - ...
4. EDA vendors and their plans and concerns

Finally, leave room for several open session topics.

Any comments or amplifications to this?

Will Hobbs
Chair, EIA IBIS Committee
Intel Corp.