Re: IBIS to Proprietary Simulator Model Conversion Tools

From: Jon Powell <uunet!qdt.com!jonp@uunet.uu.net>
Date: Fri Oct 27 1995 - 16:51:09 PDT

Fred,

I can reply for QUAD DESIGN:

1) We supply an IBIS converter, at no extra cost, as a part of our tool.

2) Historically, the IBIS standard did not support the same level of information
that an XTK model supports. That is, the XTK models could model certain objects that
IBIS could not model and so if we supported IBIS as our sole language we would either
be reducing our capability or making a "dialect" of IBIS, neither of which we wanted
to do. (we still want to be able to release advanced behavioral simulation constructs
that have not had time for IBIS approval).

3) IBIS is NOT a simulation language but a data exchange mechanism targetted at SI
problems. Translating it into a simulation language seems appropriate under many conditions.

4) IBIS does not contain certain timing information that is essential to the Quad Design methodology
for SI simulation. We insert this information during the translation process.

5) For simple devices, Quad Design models are much easier to write than IBIS models. We have a huge
user base trained in writting Quad Design models and they would kill us if we switched to IBIS.

6) IBIS is God and if a mere SI program touched it directly it would burst into flame.