Fwd: Multiple Timing Formats and Ibis

From: MR RONALD J CHRISTOPHER <EGJJ77A@prodigy.com>
Date: Wed Sep 20 1995 - 12:49:58 PDT

-- [ From: Ron Christopher * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Chris Reid,

Thank you for the feedback. I was not thinking that the physical
design data should be represented in IBIS. I was trying to preserve
the original IBIS model for the circuit, supplied and qualified by the
technology house, through all levels of packaging. This could perhaps
be done by allowing the IBIS model to be named by the package pin plus
a hierarchical internal node name which would correspond to a point
where the physical design data standard would relate. Our roadmap says
there will be a standard for physical design representation. I suspect
we need a standard for conveying a subset of the physical design which
consists of the physical connection data to connect the most external
pin of the package down through the hierarchy to the circuit. The
parasitic extraction is independent of the circuit model. We ought to
be able to use the qualified IBIS circuit model without modification.
This keeps the circuit model independent of parasitic extraction for
debug purposes as we progress up the hierarchy using different vendor
tools. Otherwise one will not be able to go back to the technology
house when the model does not work in the board environment. No one
will be able to determine what factors were put in and why.

Please guide me in my thinking.

Ron Christopher
------- FORWARD, Original message follows -------

> Date: Monday, 18-Sep-95 12:05 PM
>
> From: Chris Reid \ Internet: (chris@icx.com)
> To: Ron Christopher \ PRODIGY: (EGJJ77A)
>
> Subject: Multiple Timing Formats and Ibis
>
> Hello,
>
> It seems to me the point Ron Christopher raises about multiple dies
in one
> MCM is significant from a timing point of view, but is not
significant for
> Ibis with its current charter.
>
> From an Ibis viewpoint an MCM is just another package with a certain
set
> of driver, receiver, power, and ground pins. The particular
construction
> inside the package is not of interest except in how it affects the
package
> model (particularly with the Bird 28 changes).
>
> From a timing viewpoint it seems to me we must take a similar stand.
There

------- FORWARD, End of original message -------