Re: Simulator support for multi-board simulation

From: <dmehta@cadence.com>
Date: Mon Dec 16 1996 - 15:13:38 PST

ON Dec 13th Stephen Peters wrote...........
>>how many simulator
> companies support "automatic" multi-board simulation.
> By this I mean, do any simulator companies support
> the ability to do a simulation on a trace that goes
> from one board, thru a connector, then onto another
> board without manually creating a netlist that patch
> the two boards together? Just wondering....
>
>Stephen,
>Your question is a very good one. We at Cadence come across
>this multi-board simulation requirement all the time, in fact our
 experience is that the environment of multi-board is becoming
 dominant and designers are looking for a cleaner and transparent
 solution. Our Performance Engineering offering (BoardQuest,
 SigXplorer and SigNoise) support this multi-board simulation
 capability in a straight forward and automatic fashion. Yes- circuit
 topologies are extracted and built on the fly for mulit-board designs.
 No messy editing or mucking of netlist etc.... Thanks for asking
>Regards
>Dee Mehta
>

>From: mellitz@eagle.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM
>From: mellitz@eagle (Richard.Mellitz)
>Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 18:18:06 -0500
>To: ibis@vhdl.org
>Subject: Re: Simulator support for multi-board simulation
>
>Steven,
>
>We regularly use Quad Design tools to do full system
>analog simulations that include board and connector coupling.
>We even do SSO on a system wide level on signals that approach
>design margins. I wouldn't call it automatic. It A LOT of work.
>The capability is there. The circuit data comes from the layout
>tools. The connectors models are extracted from spice or 3d modeling and
>I wish I could get all my device models from IBIS :-)
>
>... Rich
>

>On Dec 13, 9:57am, Stephen Peters wrote:
> Subject: Simulator support for multi-board simulation
>
> Hello All:
>
> At the packaging committee meeting today the
> question was raised regarding how many simulator
> companies support "automatic" multi-board simulation.
> By this I mean, do any simulator companies support
> the ability to do a simulation on a trace that goes
> from one board, thru a connector, then onto another
> board without manually creating a netlist that patch
> the two boards together? Just wondering....
>
> Regards,
> Stephen
>-- End of excerpt from Stephen Peters

Dee Mehta