Re: EGG10 - Proposed Automatic Validation Checks

From: <mellitz@eagle.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM>
Date: Thu Feb 22 1996 - 06:50:08 PST

On Feb 21, 7:11pm, Bob Ross wrote:
> Subject: Re: EGG10 - Proposed Automatic Validation Checks
> Chris and IBISians;
>
> Here are a few comments on EGG10.
>
> (1) Could you expand on what additional testing is needed? The Version 2.1
> Specification already gives WARNING messages for non-monotonic data in
> tables, and already gives and ERROR message for wrong polarity data based
> on the starting and final point values. So I think your first test is already
> covered. It works correctly for ECL devices as well. If the [IBIS Ver] of
> a Version 1.1 file is changed to 2.1, then Version 1.1 files will also
> go through these tests.

[Rich M.] For what its worth (FWIW): This is the most common problem I've
encountered with having "other" people do V-I curves for me.

> (2) I think testing Waveform End-points against V/I data is a good idea.
> The test will also reveal problems such as providing a min V/T table, but
> having only NA data for the corresponding V/I table. I would expand on
> the comment to have Both the [Power Clamp] and [Gnd Clamp] tables added
> for all tests. If these clamps do not have data in the regions of
> interest, then linear extrapolation of the data needs to be done.
>
> (3) The extreme current test to provide a warning looks useful. There
> might be more discussion about the delta V and what max I to use. If
> the values are too low, then two many incorrect WARNINGS may be produced,
> and a real problem still may be discovered.
>
> (4) This also looks like a useful test. It would also detect incorrect
> discontinuities in data that may have gone unnoticied. However, I am not
> sure what defines an abrupt slope change in V/I data. In some simulations,
> this may not be critical.

[Rich M. ] Large second derivatives around the current axis can cause
incorrect buffer delay predictions. I think the test is useful. Its
sort of like asking are we "poping the clutch" or just "punching the peddle".
:-)