Re: Stored Charge by Peivand Tehrani

From: Arpad Muranyi <Arpad_Muranyi@ccm.fm.intel.com>
Date: Tue Jul 23 1996 - 10:34:00 PDT

Peivand,

I looked at your simulation example, and I think that you are referring to a
phenomena as the "glitch" which is unrelated to the "kickback effect", commonly
associated with the charge storage effects (discussed in BIRD34) of clamping
diodes, ESD structures, etc.

In my opinion the glitch you are observing is related to the parasitic
capacitances between Drain-Source, Gate-Source, and Gate-Drain. When the gate
voltage of the inverter begins to switch, there is a time period when none of
the output transistors are (fully) on. The changing voltage on the gate bleeds
through the parasitic capacitances to the output untill the transistor to be
turned on gets turned on. Since we are talking about an inverter, this causes a
glitch that goes the opposite direction of the intended edge. If you try to
reproduce the same effect with a "voltage follower" circuit, you will see that
the "glitch" will go in the same direction with the intended edge.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation