Re: RLC parameters for passive devices in EDIF

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Wed Jun 26 1996 - 18:50:00 PDT

David:

The questions raised were good, and I am not sure I have an answer.
Here are some points to consider.

IBIS references in EDIF to Components or Models can also refer to
Terminator Models which are composed of passive elements. So some
more complicated terminator configurations that IBIS would allow
can be referenced. These would include combination of elements,
package effects, and even internal clamps. So values in the EDIF
format may not be available for these.

The Terminator Topology is fixed in IBIS. IBIS does not format all possible
part part topologies. Therefore, it makes sense to have values of
components (single R, L, C) available individually. Having 2 resistors
is a bonus.

To the extent that we would extract Terminator information, the 2 resistors
and 1 capacitor would cover the practical cases. However, combined elements
in the fixed topology could support up to 4 resistors ([Rgnd], [Rpower],
[Rac], R_pkg), 2 capacitors ([Cac], C_pkg), and 1 inductor (L_pkg). I think
this would be to complicated. The true Series resistor is not formmated
in IBIS, just an R_pkg element.

With respect to values, I could support having them restricted to greater
than or equal to 0.

At this point I am open to recommendations on how to proceed. General
component value identification with some limited terminator topology
identification might be the best way to go.

Bob Ross
Interconnectix, Inc.