Re: Re[2]: Rising Waveform Loading Effects

From: Dileep Divekar <dileep@contec.Apsimtech.COM>
Date: Thu Oct 31 1996 - 22:34:18 PST

Arpad Muranyi, Intel Corporation wrote:

>This is just an example for why you can't specify in the IBIS spec what the tool
>should do with the data. Tool vendors want to be able to differentiate
>themselves from others, because they believe they know it better how to do it
>right. And there is nothing wrong with it. The customer has to figure out
>which tool he believes before he invests.

>And, again, IBIS is not a device physics algorythm spec, but a data format spec.

I am not saying that IBIS should specify WHAT the simulator should do with the
data. I am saying that IBIS should make sure that SUFFICIENT data is provided.
Thus, it should not be necessary to make assumptions or guesses OUTSIDE of the specification.
Again, I am not saying that IBIS should specify the algorithms. The simulator
can use any algorithm as long as it makes sure that the characteristics specified
in the IBIS model are reproduced.

My understanding was that when a model developer makes an IBIS model, it is
simulator independent. If IBIS specification does not want to make sure
that enough data is provided and it wants to give freedom to the simulators, then
is it acceptable for each simulator to have its own requirements, as long as
the data is provided in the IBIS data FORMAT? Because some simulators may want
to base the simulations on assumptions and guesses, whereas some may want to have
more data.

Again, going back to the curve fitting example, if the specification provides
three data points, then the simulators can have their own algorithms and
differentiate themselves by either fitting a straight line thru those three
points, or fitting a quadratic. And if they want to be more agressive and
make some assumptions and guesses, they can even fit a higher order
polynomial. This is where the freedom part comes in. But if the specification
provides only one data point, there is clearly insufficient information to do
anything BUT only guesswork.
Dileep Divekar
Applied Simulation Technology, Inc.
2188 Bering Drive