Re: Questions about BIRD39 - SPECIFICATION ENHANCEMENT

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Wed Nov 06 1996 - 15:27:00 PST

Dileep:

Good questions.

(1) One specific example is the 74XXX132 device with
Schmitt trigger (hysteresis) input specification. The
high and low state threshold points are specified within
a tolerance range. In general, ASIC devices with hysteresis
inputs could also benefit from this Specification addition.
The proposed Specification addition would allow us more
precision in allocating timing paths. Currently with
only Vinh and Vinl, we have only a very crude way of
approximating hysteresis behavior without any real
tolerance mechanism.

(2) I also would like feedback on the need and appropriateness
of this noise rejection inclusion and how it might be used.
The specification is designed to allow simulators to optionally
set up tests and trap on glitches at the input to test noise
immunity. So an input that is at a low state may see a
glitch due to timing or cross talk tolerances that cause it
to momentarily exceed the Vinl value. As long as the
input remains below Pulse_high and also returns to a value
below Vinl, within Pulse_time of the first crossing, the input
with such a noise immunity specification is considered to have
passed. (This is a first order approximation of a more detailed
pulse-width versus pulse amplitude characteristic and is intended
to help flag possible weaknesses.) The Pulse_low value operates
in a similar manner relative to Vinh when the input is in the
high state.

Bob Ross
Interconnectix