multi-staged drivers, etc.

From: Edlund, Greg <Edlund@EXCHANGE.eng.pko.dec.com>
Date: Thu Nov 07 1996 - 05:26:04 PST

I'm jumping into the middle of this discussion, so I plead ignorance if
someone has already addressed this question.

Does anyone have an overlay of lab and simulation data that
quantitatively demonstrates the accuracy of the standard ibis i-v curve
method and/or rising waveform method for multi-staged drivers? (My
understanding of "multi-staged" is that the output stage is divided up
into portions that turn on and off in succession during the excursion
from one output level to the other.) I think drivers that employ some
kind of feedback mechanism may be interesting to look at, too. It would
be necessary to check the waveforms at the driver and receiver for a
standard load and maybe a handful of typical net topologies.

Greg Edlund , Principal Engineer
Alpha Server Signal Integrity
Digital Equipment Corp.
129 Parker St. PKO3-1/20C