Re: Rising Waveform Loading Effects

From: Brock Hannibal <brockh@mdhost.cse.tek.com>
Date: Mon Oct 28 1996 - 17:01:28 PST

Hi all,

Well Jon, I don't think we fundamentally disagree. It's more a matter of degree.
For instance, if I can hold tolerance of characteristic Z, losses, L and C of
vias, L and C of package pins, stability of power supplies, etc. to really
tight tolerances then I can make use of extremely accurate IBIS models which
have V@t curves which are derived into my known load. Unfortunately all these
other factors are extremely difficult to hold to tight tolerances. All I
was saying was that an IBIS model derived into a resistive load is probably
sufficient for most signal integrity work.

The current crop of IBIS models are a far cry from being accurate enough
to really predict the kinds of things Jon is talking about, but many of
them are good enough to ensure that I don't drastically mis-terminate
the transmission lines on my boards.

Another question to think about: do Ibis models derived from Spice models
really have the kind of accuracy that Jon needs?

Brock Hannibal
Design Engineer
Tektronix, Inc.

Jon Powell says,