Re[2]: Ramp Def. ??

From: Arpad Muranyi <Arpad_Muranyi@ccm.fm.intel.com>
Date: Tue Oct 29 1996 - 10:10:00 PST

Text item:

Ahmed,

In my opinion, the IBIS spec defines the ramp rates only one way, and clearly.
See included sections below. Could you please point it out to me where you
think the other definition is in the spec?

Thanks,

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation

|==============================================================================

|==============================================================================

| NOTES ON DATA DERIVATION METHOD
|

| 3) Ramp Rates:
|
| c. Due to the resistor, output swings will not make a full transition as
| expected. However the pertinent data can still be collected as
| follows:
| 1) determine the 20% to 80% voltages of the 50 ohm swing
| 2) measure this voltage change as "dV"
| 3) measure the amount of time required to make this swing "dt"

Hello Bob and Stephen

     Thank you for your responses. Your answers are what I expected.
However, the IBIS specifications are not clear on that. In fact it defines
ramp rate in both ways. So we should make correction on the specifications.

Regards, Ahmed.

Ahmed:

Case (b).

The 20% and 80% voltage points are 1.8 V and 4.2 V.

Best Regards,
Bob Ross
Interconnectix, Inc.

Hello Ahmed:

   It's the 20% to 80% of the voltage swing. Specifically
the Dt number is calculated as (for rising wavefront)....

(time at which voltage waveform crosses [.8(voltage swing) +
starting voltage]) - (time at which voltage waveform crosses
[.2(voltage swing) + starting voltage]).

         Hope that helps.

           Regards,
           Stephen Peters
           Intel Corp.

Hello IBIS people

Is ramp rate defined as the time it takes the output to go:
(a) 20% to 80% of output final value
 or
(b) 20% to 80% of output voltage swing*

* I define voltage swing as the difference
  between final value and initial value.

For example;
Say, the output swings 1 to 5 volts. | 5 v ____
To calculate the ramp rate do I use | /
(a) 20% to 80% of 5 volts | /
 or | /
(b) 20% to 80% of 4 volts | 1v ____/

Regards, Ahmed.
|Ahmed Omer | Advanced Interconnect Systems Labs |
|E-MAIL: omera@trailblazer.sps.mot.com | Semiconductor Products Sector |
| : R28450@email.sps.mot.com | M O T O R O L A, Inc. |
|Phone: 512-933-2247 | 3501 Ed Bluestein Blvd MDrop: F36

|Fax: 512-933-5845 | Austin, TX 78721 |

Text item: External Message Header