Re[2]: IBIS as the accurate standard.

From: Arpad Muranyi <Arpad_Muranyi@ccm.fm.intel.com>
Date: Wed Oct 30 1996 - 08:35:00 PST

Text item:

To all,

I coulnd't agree more with Dileep's last sentence (below). The problem I see is
that a lot of people want to use IBIS models for the wrong reason. For example,
if you are a circuit designer working on your new buffer, you are much better
off using SPICE. However, even if you are a circuit desginer, but you are
concerned about the system behavior of your buffer, you might benefit from many
the features in IBIS (and/or behavioral) models.

Another observation. Many people automatically think that SPICE is inherently
more accurate than IBIS. This is a misbelief. Any model is only as good as the
data is in it. It is just as easy to make bad SPICE models as IBIS models. Yet
many tend to believe SPCIE more, just because it is SPICE. That is what bothers
me the most...

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation

Kellee Crisafulli, HyperLynx Inc. wrote:

> There has been a number of emails of late about how accurate
> the IBIS models. I think some of this discussion really looses
> site of the FACTS.
>
> 1) No model is "accurate" for all uses especially SPICE models.

Where is the FACT in the above statement? It is more like an opinion
and everyone is entitled to have one. I do not see why SPICE
models should be ESPECIALLY less "accurate". Is it possible to
prove the above statement? I agree with the first half of the statement
that no model is accurate for all uses and both ibis and spice models
have that limitation.

I think it is possible to say good things about IBIS without
saying bad things about SPICE. Why should it always be necessary
to defend IBIS by bad mouthing SPICE? Both serve different but
useful purposes.

Dileep Divekar
Applied Simulation Technology, Inc.
2188 Bering Drive