Re[2]: Bird38

From: John M Keifer <John_M_Keifer@ccm.fm.intel.com>
Date: Mon Sep 16 1996 - 09:56:00 PDT

Text item:

Bob,
     An enhancement needs to be made to RAIL. I propose we simply add a width
column to [Budgets] and a width parameter to [Clocks] that has a max of 6
characters. The WIDTH parameter would simply state the maximum time a signal
could overshoot high or low at the already specified level. Would you like me
to type up another ROAD?
John Keifer

John and Ahmed:

We have all had a "vacation" from IBIS committee discussions and
need to get restarted in our discussions. I do not have answers
to your questions, but this will be subject for discussion at the
Friday Meeting. Along with Egg12, Ahmed Omera also submitted
a dynamic noise proposal a long while ago which also in in the
Specification enhancement category.

Jon Powell had proposed a Specification sub-committee to consider
all proposals together, but we have not acted on this yet.

My preference is that any enhancement be simple. While some of the
proposals involve tables, I suspect that the practical reality is
that (1) there is too much data for anyone to really specify, and
(2) very few vendors will consider processing that specific
enhancement. Also, I favor consistency with the existing conventions
and structure rather than adding very specific, special purpose,"warts".
By this, any extension needs to work with all of the technologies and
be meaningful for all of the columns.

Anyway, this is what we can consider on Friday.

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.

> To: ibis@vhdl.org
> Subject: Bird38

> Hello all,

> Since proposing bird 38, I have received little comment. As I was not
> able to attend the last two meetings, this is probably my fault.

> This bird is closely associated with egg12 i.e. it is a
> specification addition.

> Bird38 is basically a way to specify under- and overshoot limits.

> A simplification of this bird would be to just give two numbers,
> max_undershoot and max_overshoot. This is what a lot of simulators
> do, and there is a place to stick these numbers into a RAIL file.

> But in this case, over what time span is the over/undershoot allowed
> to be present. I have read through the RAIL doc, but cannot find an
> answer to this question.

> What do people out there understand by over/undershoot limits, as
> used in present simulators?

> All feedback appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> John

> --
> John Fitzpatrick <John.Fitzpatrick@ln.cit.alcatel.fr>
> Alcatel CIT, 4 rue de Broglie, 22304 Lannion, France
> Tel: (+33)96.04.79.33 Fax: (+33)96.04.85.09

Text item: External Message Header