RE: IBIS 3.0 and legal questions

From: Leonard, Mark <Mark.Leonard@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Fri Aug 08 1997 - 15:09:26 PDT

I've read through the responses from tool and model suppliers, and the
perspective from a model user is very different. We're actively
pursuing simulation information for devices, memory modules, processor
modules, etc. that can only be accurately represented with v3.0
syntax. Our choices have been limited to the following: get the
information directly in Quad Design format, exert pressure and get it
in a painful combination of Spice and CAD (Allegro) formats, or don't
get it at all.

It's quite interesting to note that Quad XTK models are becoming more
readily available for most of the devices we care about. It's also
interesting to see some of our competitors being forced to switch
simulation tools for this very reason. I'm seeing buffer technologies
continuing to advance, simulation engines advancing along with them,
and the IBIS spec continuing to fall behind. V3.0 catches up to where
we are today, but it will be behind again in very short order.

The v3.0 spec has allowed us to start pushing the "don't get it at
all" cases. Accordingly we're starting to see v3.0 models. I
certainly wouldn't trust v3.0 models from just any vendor, but I some
level of confidence in most of these guys. From a user perspective I
generally don't trust v3.0 models any more than I trust v2.1 models
(assume they're of limited value until proven otherwise). We still
see a surprising number of v2.1 models with various problems (syntax,
questionable data, etc.).

The lack of a v3.0 parser and tool-specific translators is forcing us
to write our own. We're left with no choice.

Mark Leonard
Manager, Signal Integrity & Package Analysis
Compaq Computer Corporation